Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Time to get nervous # 2

Whoever is running that thing has been asleep way to long.

Deal to sell eastside water to Westlands ID at $400 / AF rejected after community uproar.
    http://www.mercedsunstar.com/2014/01...es-reject.html

Goes without saying that $400/AF is pricey water at the well head.

Curtailment notices sent -- orders to stop diversion prepared...
    http://agalert.com/story/?id=6347

Northern California Water Association President David Guy described the water board notice as both necessary and positive, in that its action gets all water users thinking about the drought and putting together plans to cope with it. Notice of the potential for curtailment of water diversions has not been issued since the drought of 1977, he said.

"Come February, there will be follow-up on the notice," Guy said. "This first notice is just a warning. Right now, there is no water in the system," which he said leaves confirmed water rights as little more than "interesting pieces of paper."

The Orland-Artois Water District, which serves farmers in Glenn County and is considered a junior water rights holder, ran out of water last week, said farmer and district board president Mike Vereschagin of Orland.

"That includes CVP (Central Valley Project) contract water and purchased water from other districts," he said. "With this unprecedented drought, extensive irrigation has been occurring in December and January in orchards and winter grain and forage crops. There also has been extensive use of groundwater, along with the surface water."

In the first three weeks of irrigation in January, the district delivered more than triple the amount of water it has ever delivered for the full month of January, he said.

Almond bloom is going to be early this year and Vereschagin said if there's need for frost control before the end of February, his district has no water to deliver.

"There's great concern about how the wells will hold up," he said. "Most everyone believes wells will be going dry this year."

Meanwhile, beekeepers say they're finding farmers with orchard crops are cutting back on pollination as a way to suppress fruit and nut crops and stretch water supplies through the growing season.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Rogers View Post
    Were these early bloom variety? Also along the same question, how far behind the early bloom almonds do the later blooming variety bloom?
    Im guessing the later varieties will start blooming around 10th.

Yes, only saw the early rows popping.
    Last edited by JRG13; 01-29-2014 at 10:04 PM.

I tend to be a chicken-little on California drought --- here's some data to reduce the alarm. There is no, nada, zero, zip relationship between October-January precipitation, and the spring rain total (see chart of 120 years of Sacramento watershed data). Just because it has been exceptionally dry so far, there is no historical reason to expect that the spring will be anything but normal. Of course normal (for the Nor Cal Sacramento watershed) is 21" of rain for the spring, so the cumulative yearly total would still be major drought. We are about 60% through the "normal year" in terms of total precip. Standard deviation is +- 8.5 inches from the expected average of 21" this spring

Say we get 1 inch out of this one the next few days. Not betting on it BTW. When you look out at the 10 day forecast the rest is DRY! If you put those into the data then what are the odds of finishing up at 50% of the yearly totals? My guess less than 50/50 we get even that much. We would have to get almost an inch a week to make it happen.

Yes JWCesnut, but here's the thing, we have no snow pack and it's getting so late, not much chance of getting one now. Rain is good, hope we get some, but I don't foresee much snow. Hope I'm wrong.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    we have no snow pack and it's getting so late, not much chance of getting one now.
    Worse where I am. Manzanita, sage, buckbrush, and oak trees are not just dropping leaves, but dying flat-out. If the bees don't starve, they are likely to burn up in the summer fires. Fireproofing the out-yards has never been more important.

Getting close.

DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    [B]
    Things might change but you all need to be ready to rumble early this year if things stay on the current track. I am not saying we are going to have a January bloom at this point but the possibility is the greatest I have seen in 30 years.
    [/B
    A month ago today I said there was a possibility of a January bloom. Just got back from checking the water on our last block and up in the trees the nonpareils are so ready they could not be any closer. On the first tree in we have one blossom open as of this morning.

These are not wild or stressed trees. By this afternoon there will be more and the way things look at the intersection of tree and forecast we should have things really rolling on the back side of the weekend at the latest.

Hoping for warm nights at this point!!!!

If there ever was a guy praying for rain with half his heart while the other half wants it to hold off it would be me right now. This is going to be one interesting year both almond wise and bee wise in NORCAL.

Very Cool! Typically how long does the bloom last once it starts? I am curious as this is a new experience for me with bees down in the almonds around Bakersfield. I've only have 14 down there but it's a start.

Just got home from putting some in an orchard south of Chico. Butte was in green tip and the orchard on the other side was in pink tip and ready to roll. The road was muddy!(some of it was from the rain) Saw a bit of scattered bloom popping open.So yep Phil, you told us so.

Any rain today near the Almonds?

Fusion , that looks further along than close

I dont think the rain amounted to much, but it was nice while it fell. This reminds me of the 76/77 drought. In 77 the area I summer my bees in all burned up in massive forest fires.There is no snow in the high country. It looks like deja vu all over again!

Where you gonna run to?Where you gonna hide! Anyone sell fire insurance for bees?

Sure all those big guys that i have heard purchased the "no rain" insurance are going to collect a very handsome check if they picked the right months. Another one of those big gvt schemes I'm really not so sure about. Ment to help the small guy ( theoretically )but works out to be big buck flowing from the ratepayers pockets into the pockets of the few.

From National Weather Service:
    http://forecast.weather.gov/showsigw...t#.Uu1uPvbK5y9

January 2014 re-wrote the record books in Sacramento. Here are the highlights:

1. Record longest dry period during the rainy season (Nov-Mar), 52 days
    2. Third driest Jan. in history (since 1850)
    3. January precipitation 5% of normal
    4. Highest average maximum temperature 66.1 degrees (normal average is 55.1
    5. New all-time record high temperature for January NEW (79 degrees)
    6. Record number of days with high temperature of 70 degrees or higher.
    7. Tied the record for consecutive days of high temperature 70 degrees or higher.
    8. Record high temperature set on 12 different days in January
    9. Every day in January 2014 the daytime high temperature was above normal for the month.
    10. FINALLY, WE ARE HOPING FOR A FABULOUS FEB 2014. ALL-TIME RECORD FOR RAIN IN FEB IS 10.30 INCHES SET IN 1986. HAVE A NICE WEEKEND!

SPECIAL NOTE on the data: SACRAMENTO RECORDS date BACK TO 1849 FOR PRECIPITATION AND 1877 FOR TEMPERATURES.

huh. so that's where all of our january warm weather went. we've been colder that normal all month.

I guess it depends on how the jet stream drops.
    journaling the growth of a treatment free apiary started in 2010. 20+/- hives

NWS predicting heavy rain next weekend . We shall see..

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast