Hybrid View

Default Time to get nervous # 2

On 12. 20.2013 I posted my concern about the water situation in California. This is still a big and growing concern but a new one is on the horizon.

Here is a heads up for all of you who pollinate almonds.

The weather here has been gorgeous. Up to 70 with close to freezing at night. Because of the lack of rain and the great weather I began to think about an early almond bloom showing up in 2014 similar to the one we had about a decade or so back.

This morning my Dad came in to chat and we talked about watering our almonds. He also casually mentioned that the buds on the trees were turning red. OH NO I thought!!!!! Here we go and way to early.

With highs in the mid 60's the next week and rain at least a week off I want to give a big heads up to all you beeks who show up in California to meet the pink lady!!!!!

Things might change but you all need to be ready to rumble early this year if things stay on the current track. I am not saying we are going to have a January bloom at this point but the possibility is the greatest I have seen in 30 years.

Will keep you posted!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Default Re: Time to get nervous # 2

If your right, thats going to drive pollination prices thru the roof. very few will have bees ready to go.

Now you got me nervous, my white nectarine looks like it might start popping in 2 weeks, and the cherries have initiated bud swell as well........ they look like trees you would order in march for bare-root almost.

If all came to pass, as in early early, what time would you be thinking? Jan 15, 20, 25, or 30?

Quote Originally Posted by babybee View Post
    If all came to pass, as in early early, what time would you be thinking? Jan 15, 20, 25, or 30?
    Not saying yet. Will be watching the trees at home and my "indicator" trees which often give a week + heads up. The earliest I can remember in the past was the first few days of February. The answer really depends on what happens with the weather in the next few weeks. Thats out of my control. Just being observant at this point.

Need my 5 pallets of singles yet, Phil?

Quote Originally Posted by JRG13 View Post
    Now you got me nervous, my white nectarine looks like it might start popping in 2 weeks, and the cherries have initiated bud swell as well........ they look like trees you would order in march for bare-root almost.
    Even though my caption say says "nervous" its not my point........... Mostly a heads up..... A big heads UP!!!!!! An early almond bloom encapsulated by the drought is going to make this very interesting once the almonds are finished.

Not fun or profitable...... interesting.

I'm personally wading warily as to possible ramifications and considering some very drastic options being left on the plate we are being handed. The good ones are few and diminishing while the drastic ones look increasingly dismal.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    If your right, thats going to drive pollination prices thru the roof. very few will have bees ready to go.
    A word to the wise...... At this point I would cancel my reservations to the conventions and get my bee suit back on and get my bum to work!!! Like pronto.

Thanks for the update. I usually don't send my hives to California until the end of January.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    I would cancel my reservations to the conventions and get my bee suit back on and get my bum to work!!! Like pronto.
    Whaaaat......... what a concept........who would have ever thought.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Jarrett View Post
    Whaaaat......... what a concept........who would have ever thought.
    What you thinking time wise at this point?

Titel of the thread is time to get nervous---Honey -4- All sets a time line of 5-7 days early
    other threads say watter cut to growers on eastside-growers tell me maybe they will be cut by 3 delivers whole year -readjust there watering schedule acordingly---
    Down in the valley away from the northern groves no one is nervious-trees are not pushing
    Let the rain take its time --april may and june means good mating for early queens and fat packages with a baner honey crop
    seams to me this is a blessing enjoy it this dosent happen every year put it all on Red and let it ride---RDY-B

What you thinking time wise at this point?
    I'm thinking the trees have not got there chilling hours in yet.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

I today checked two of the few booming hives I have, and they have filled most of a medium super of winter eucalyptus honey.

[B]
    Things might change but you all need to be ready to rumble early this year if things stay on the current track. I am not saying we are going to have a January bloom at this point but the possibility is the greatest I have seen in 30 years.
    [/B
    A month ago today I said there was a possibility of a January bloom. Just got back from checking the water on our last block and up in the trees the nonpareils are so ready they could not be any closer. On the first tree in we have one blossom open as of this morning.

These are not wild or stressed trees. By this afternoon there will be more and the way things look at the intersection of tree and forecast we should have things really rolling on the back side of the weekend at the latest.

Hoping for warm nights at this point!!!!

If there ever was a guy praying for rain with half his heart while the other half wants it to hold off it would be me right now. This is going to be one interesting year both almond wise and bee wise in NORCAL.

Very Cool! Typically how long does the bloom last once it starts? I am curious as this is a new experience for me with bees down in the almonds around Bakersfield. I've only have 14 down there but it's a start.

Just got home from putting some in an orchard south of Chico. Butte was in green tip and the orchard on the other side was in pink tip and ready to roll. The road was muddy!(some of it was from the rain) Saw a bit of scattered bloom popping open.So yep Phil, you told us so.

Any rain today near the Almonds?