Hybrid View

Default Top Entrances and Robbing?

Going to be using top entrances on a few hives this year. I've been pondering on the possible ease of robbing given that the entrance will be closer to food stores. Has anyone made any observations on this topic and have you noticed a difference (ie higher robbing tendencies, lower robbing tendencies, or no difference at all)?
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: Top Entrances and Robbing?

As long as the hive is strong enough to protect itself, top entrances pose no problem as far as robbing from what I have experienced. Something I did notice however, nothing to do with robbing, but, when using nothing but a top entrance the bees stored quite a bit of pollen in the honey supers along with the honey. Never heard of anyone else having that issue, but it happened to me with every hive I tried a top entrance on. Won't be using solely a top entrance again, maybe in addition to a small bottom entrance though.

Top entrance is definitely not a problem. Too much entrance on the other hand is a definite problem. Some colonies though seem to be able to defend what is theres with the lid blown off. Most get robbed out.

I've noticed that my bees won't store honey anywhere near an entrance or an auger hole or a large crack between boxes. What does having an upper entrance at the top super mean as far as the bees filling that super?

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Palmer View Post
    I've noticed that my bees won't store honey anywhere near an entrance or an auger hole or a large crack between boxes. What does having an upper entrance at the top super mean as far as the bees filling that super?
    Michael,
    I am not sure to be honest with you. Given your observation, I would say honey is stored towards the back and in lower boxes. Will the bees put brood closer to the top entrance?I will let you know here in about 7 months I guess. Have you noticed lower production in yours? It's an idea that I've played with, I have also read it in MB's book. I like the idea of not having to mow as much grass.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Besides not having to keep the weeds or grass cut, an upper entrance helps with skunk problems.

I've been using primarily, all upper entrances, with the main entrance immediately above the brood nest. In this situation, the bees have been placing virtually all pollen in the brood nest. Even when I sometimes place a queen excluder between the brood nest and the main entrance opening (forcing all foragers to traverse the excluder, to enter or exit the brood nest), very little pollen finds its way into the honey supers.

My entrance rims have a robbing screen, built-in. It seems to help reduce robbing in colonies where one is used.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni