Default 2014 Swarm Project

While deer hunting I came across a hollow tree in 2012. I took the time this past season to take a much closer look. Below you will find pictures of the tree opening and inside the tree.

This tree is near a flyway where I have caught 3 swarms between the last two years. I believe the bees to be feral. My plan for spring is to close off the opening except for the smaller opening at the top. I'll probably hinge this so I can still open it up if desired, or make it so it can be slide out. I'll bait this up just like a swarm trap to try and establish a colony within. Would be nice to have a tree for Hogan style trap-outs when needed.

I did find a long stick I could work up into the hole and there appears to be a hollowed out section around 6 feet up from the top of opening at the bottom. I'll update this thread as I progress ...

Opening:
    Opening.jpg

Inside Tree:
    InsideTree.jpg

Default Re: 2014 Swarm Project

From your information, you should, no doubt, be able to harvest 1 to 3 starts from the tree, but, doubtful that you will get the queen unless you close their current hole and cut another one closer to where you think the brood nest is. Now would be a good time to get it set up for spring. You can drill the new hole with a 3/4 drill bit or larger, or cut one with a chain saw. Seal off all entrances/exits except this new one. Attach the transition and let the bees get used to using this new entrance as they find warm days and do cleansing flights. When Spring arrives, and they have built up, attach your trap. Take your first start then about 15 to 20 days, set the trap again. If you get a lot of bees in the trap in the first 24 hours you will know that it is a strong hive. If it takes more than 48 hours to get 3 to 5 pounds of bees, let it build up some more before you move the 2d trapping away.

cchoganjr

Cleo - No bees in the tree yet - I'm going to try and attract bees into the tree on my families property. If I'm successful, then I will have an easy place to take some starts.

I'm thinking of drilling a new hole at the top of the cavity.

I caught 6 swarms on this property this year, so I know their are some hives around. I don't think there is another beekeeper close by, so I believe all the bees I caught to be feral.

PAHunter62

Sorry, I thought it had bees just up from where the hole is in the photo.

When Spring comes put a few drops lemongrass oil in the cavity. You might even put a jar feeder in the hole and see if there are very many bees in the area.

Would be a good place to put a few swarm boxes also.

good luck. Maybe some will move. Either into the tree or your swarm boxes.

cchoganjr