Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

oxalic vaporizer treatments

2K views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  buzzzz 
#1 ·
Good morning

I just have a question about what is the coldest temps you can use oxalic acid vaporizers for treating hives ? I am wanting to do some today if possible but the high today is only going to be 38 or so . Has anyone done them this cool ? Its going to get really cold starting 12/30 with no breaks for a while.

Thanks

#2 ·
I’ve read 40 F. I’m new to it but am trying to get to mine between 40 and 50 F. I figure at 40 the cluster is beginning to loosen and the bees will fan the vapors throughout. Once higher than around 50 bees will begin flying and some of the opportunity will be lost. Just my OA inexperienced opinion.

#3 ·
This is a quote from SNL on his "for sale" listing "Now is the time to make sure your hives are set for winter. With little or no brood, vaporization has a 96% mite kill efficacy. If the outside temperature is 40 degrees (f) or above, you are safe to vaporize.".

#4 ·
I did mine yesterday. A few bees flying but chilly yet. went fine. not sure how many hives you have. I did about 80. you have to watch the charge on your battery when doing a lot of them. and if you do it right when your done the cup is clean and empty. If there are crystals left you turned it off a bit soon. Won't know for a while how much it helped, but it didn't hurt any. I was actually surprised the bees seemedd less agitaiated than when I used MAQS but it is cooler so that may be why.

#7 ·
When the weather begins to cool I remove the battery from my riding mower. I put it inside the house and periodically give it a trickle charge to keep it topped off. That way i get several seasons out of a battery. So...when I started doing the OAV...that battery now serves a winter purpose. I've done around 24 hives at a time without noticing any impact of vaporization time. And when I come home I top it off......and haven't had any problems with the truck starting :)

#10 ·
That's what I ended up doing the hives I have now if they make it are going on 3 years now and should make me some good stock for the coming year if all goes well. I believe ill leave things as they are for now . I will have OA if I find I need it later.
thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.