Default The Beekeeper arsenal.

Even though I am a treatment free beekeepers myself. After testing a 87 in a beekeepers test (6 out of 7 I missed were treatment related) I thought to myself how important it was for me to learn. As much as we all hate it. Treating is a big part of the standard industry in beekeeping.

I always encourage new keepers to start with treatments. I really think success and a certain degree of skill is needed before attempting treatment free.

This post is to discuss treatments. The more detailed the better. Experiences. What has worked for you. How you apply. Problems or concerns.

Thanks.

Default Re: The Beekeeper arsenal.

Kamon,
    I use OAV and apply it with a JB200 Heilyser vaporizer 4 times in August, once a week for 4 consecutive weeks, I find it very effective in killing mites, no problems or concerns. I like this method because it's cheap, I do not need to open the hives to apply it, and the acid crystals do not contaminate the brood comb.
    Last edited by WWW; 12-29-2013 at 12:28 PM. Reason: corrected the month
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Do you test for mites before applying this? I was under the assumption. That you don't treat until you need to. If you treat ever year over and over when not needed. The mites build up a resitance to any product.... Am I wrong?
    I am a New BK and want to be treatment free , but feel Mr Reynolds is correct with his first post.... I think I need some skills first in order to go to the treatmeant free skill level and succed. So for my first time I will use treatments for my hives to survive and thrive.

I do plan on using mite traps with oil at the bottoms. One only needs common sense to use those.

There is no evidence that mites have or will build resistance to either Oxalic or Formic acid. However, you should test prior to treating. This time of year tho, I would just treat with OA Vaporization as it will kill +- 95 of any mites (since the hive is basically broodless). OA in a vaporized form does not harm the bees and is easy to apply. You just need to carefully follow directions.
    Last edited by snl; 12-30-2013 at 07:25 AM.
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

I have tried both My treated hives have been treated with MAQS and brood breaks. Just this week added OA vaporized to the list.
    My MAQS treated hives have done well.
    TF I use brood breaks. and "hygenic" bees so far little joy

Labradorfarms,
    The only testing that I have done is several times I have skipped the August treatments just to see what happened with the hives later in the fall, the result was that the hives were always nearly overcome with DWV, this is all the testing that I need to tell me that Varroa mites are a problem in my area and in my hives. I do not want to spend money buying VHS queens on a continual bases and I don't have the time for a hive splitting regiment each year to stay ahead of deadouts.

No I do not see mites getting resistant to acid whether it OA or FA, the mites would need to develop a hard exoskeleton for this to happen.

I can appreciate the work that a good many beekeepers are putting into the development of mite resistant bees but for now blanket treating with OAV every year is the way that I have chosen to deal with my Varroa mite problem.
    Last edited by WWW; 12-29-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: corrected the month
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Thank you WWW! Anything I can learn will help me this Spring....... May I ask how long you have been Bee Keeping?
    What other forms of treatment are available and actually work well?

Quote Originally Posted by labradorfarms View Post
    Thank you WWW! Anything I can learn will help me this Spring....... May I ask how long you have been Bee Keeping?
    What other forms of treatment are available and actually work well?
    I recommend that you go to Randy Oliver's site and click on varroa management "http://scientificbeekeeping.com/".
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Labradorfarms,
    Yes you may ask, this is my 5th year now since getting back into beekeeping, I practiced beekeeping years ago but life got busy for me and it took till now to get back into it. As a young man I also helped my Dad with his hives.

Where other types of treatments are concerned I am not familiar with them, after getting back to beekeeping I had Varroa to contend with and set upon researching to find the best treatment that would positively kill mites without contaminating the comb. I PMed Michael Bush, several people in Germany, "Oldtimer" in New Zealand, and Randy Oliver's website in order to Find out all I could about Oxalic Acid Vaporization. I have discovered it to be the best treatment method for my hives.

DPBsbees has given excellent advice, check out Randy Oliver's website he has done lots of testing and has up to date info that you might be looking for.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

I still strongly believe in treating using multiple approaches. Since the thread here has talked a little about OA, I'll share my experience with that. I've used a vaporizer (propane type) on and off and found it to be effective. Actually, about as effective as MAQS. It's a little labor but not too much once you get a routine going. I agree that Randy Olivers' site is a great place to learn a lot more (about a lot of different things). In my mind, there's a lot to learn about timing treatments both from an effectiveness standpoint as well as a "need" standpoint. By the latter, I mean that I've made plenty of mistakes by treating my yard as a colony instead of managing each individual hive separately. Sure, a pollen bloom or a nectar run tends to have a similar effect on a whole yard but disease or pests can sometimes (or even often) affect an individual hive. When I get too busy or too lazy and I don't look closely enough at an individual colony, then my subsequent treatment appears to be less or even ineffective. I'm not saying that you have to be completely engrossed with measurement and record keeping but I sometimes think we leap to conclusions from different starting points. My first time using OA was because I had a number of hives that were crashing. My late efforts at saving them ended with me trying OA. From a quantitative perspective, the mite drop counts plummeted and I thought I'd done well. However, the colonies didn't recover so I blamed the treatment first instead of myself. In my experience, your end result has a lot more to do with where your starting point is than than your chosen treatment method. There is no silver bullet. By the way, I was very impressed with the OA results on the mites. I do worry about surface PH and whether continued treatments of OA over a longer period of time has a detrimental effect on the comb and woodenware.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenseye View Post
    .......... I do worry about surface PH and whether continued treatments of OA over a longer period of time has a detrimental effect on the comb and woodenware.
    Thank you for your thoughts Ravenseye, if you have any links for reading about this residue in the hive, I'd be interested in reading more about it. Thank you.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)