Smile Hive Base Question!

I've only been involved with bee keeping for two years and have a question, albeit late. Upon observing many pictures of hives, bee yards,ect., it appears that everyone places their hives upon cinder blocks, cross-ties, or other strutures offering an open air space to the hive bottom. I(in my infinant wisdom) built a small,elevated deck(the top being 3/4" treated plywood)and placed my hive on top. Are there any negatives to this approach, if so are there too many to list. Basically, did I screw-up? memtb

Default Re: Hive Base Question!

That depends. If you run screen bottom boards, then having a solid deck under them kinda defeats the purpose. Otherwise, I see no problem. I keep mine up on rail stands to get them up off the ground to a heighth that I can easily work them without bending. It also keeps them up above skunk danger.

I raised my hives up off of the plywood platform (plywood laid on shipping pallets) merely to prolong the life of my solid bottom boards by allowing air circulation below them. My spring and summer weather can bring a lot of rain. I raised them up on some Metro-style metal shelving that I had in storage. It works well enough for the intended purpose, but I'm not entirely content with it. I've just moved my hives to their new yard, so their winter platform is not the permanent one.

I run a screen bottom board over a solid board, so I think that next spring I will make some rails to set the hives on and retire the metal shelves.

Enj.

Thanks for the responses. It seems that maybe I didn't mess-up, and that alone may be a first. Also, around here moisture isn't a problem. Most years we average under 6 inches total precip. How do you say "DRY"!!!! Thanks again and Happy New Year! memtb

Here is another question on this note. When you guys winter your hives, how many bodies or supers to you recommend keeping on the stand? As I drive around, I see guys keeping two main bodies plus medium supers, some with just one hive body, others with two. Is there any rhyme or reason to any of this?

The boxes on top are not reliable indicators of anything. Some may have not been pulled and be completely empty, a bad plan. Some may have been left on full of honey because the beekeeper plans on extracting in the spring, or because they view the supers of honey as insurance against the bees starving over winter. Some people winter a hivebody and a medium super basically as a hive body. So what you see might or might not be the result of a management decisions. You will have to determine what is required in your area in your beehives.