Default Bee bloodline recommendations

Without getting too deep into my reasoning, I'd like to get some idea what what breeds/stock people are using based on their geographic area in the US, for either treatment free or treated, and I'd appreciate your help in understanding. Survivor bees are fine as long as there is some idea of the stock that the survivor bees originate from. I'd also like to know what stock most or many migratory beekeepers are using, it matters as I'd like to know what stock may be primarily impacted by CCD. I'm curious about what kind of bees are people buying, why and where.

I'm under the assumption that Italians are used primarily in southern tropical and desert climates, whilst Carniolan are used primarily for temperate regions, with many variables used in between. I'm happy to be disavowed of this assumption, so please; what are your bees and where do you live?

~Tyson

Default Re: Bee bloodline recommendations

Whether you use Italians, Carniolans, Russians, or Caucasians is best decided by looking at your local climate and see which brood cycle matches yours best.

Italians - build huge colonies, overwinter with huge colonies, have a moderate swarming tendency, are adapted to either one long nectar flow or else a spring flow followed by a fall flow. IMO, the disadvantages of Italians for the average small beekeeper outweigh the advantages.

Carniolans - Build huge colonies in spring, overwinter with small to medium size colonies, have a strong swarming tendency, are adapted to a heavy spring flow with little of no fall flow.

Russians - Build moderate to strong colonies, react strongly to pollen dearth by cutting brood rearing, have a very strong swarming tendency, are best adapted to areas with continuous nectar all summer and fall.

Caucasians - Start slowly in spring then build large colonies in the fall, have a moderate to strong swarming tendency, are best adapted to areas with a huge fall flow, are excessive propolis collectors.

Look closely at the Buckfast bees available from Dansk. You might prefer them over the others. http://www.danskfarms.com/

If you want to go treatment free, start with stock that is currently treatment free. Carpenter Apiaries and Beeweaver are two that have stock available. This thread has a listing of treatment free options. http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...eders-for-2012

I am currently using queens that are have some Apis Mellifera Mellifera, Buckfast, Italian, and Russian genetics. They are highly mite tolerant and have not been treated for varroa in 8 years.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Fusion_power View Post

Look closely at the Buckfast bees available from Dansk. You might prefer them over the others. http://www.danskfarms.com/
    Here is a list of all breeders: http://perso.fundp.ac.be/~jvandyck/h...ver/index.html

Some Central European breeders have said to me they find the Danish buckfast breeds "soft". They prefer some more ability to withstand bad conditions.
    Treatment free, honey production, isolation mated queens, www.saunalahti.fi/lunden/varroakertomus.html

Thanks for the above information. I work with survivor bees, local ferals, but I'm faced with having to import some stock for research purposes. Locally I believe Italian VSH are utilized, with some Carniolan crosses mixed in. I was curious about what people used for themselves in US depending on area and local climate. I'd still like to hear more of what people use for themselves.

~Tyson

I think local survivors are best. They will already be selected for your area.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF