Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: migratory tops

Default Re: migratory tops

There is about a 9/16" gap between the top bars and the cover. Yes, when they are crowded or expanding I do get some burr comb, but it's not enough to cause a problem. The rim could be cut narrower, but I like to give the bees a good 3/8" opening to move through.
    To everything there is a season....

snl, in the photo above is that the size entrance you use all the time?

Not sure what snl does, but the picture shows how my tops are set up for overwintering. It's hard to see but if you look closely at the pic you will see that the rim on that end is cut into two sections and nailed down. Sections can be removed as the season progresses to allow additional traffic. If robbing starts up the sections can be nailed back in to restrict the entrance size.
    To everything there is a season....

Quote Originally Posted by jmgi View Post
    snl, in the photo above is that the size entrance you use all the time?
    I use a 3 1/2 to 4" opening on the bottom and the top is opened (with wedges) all summer long. I pull the wedges in the winter .... sometimes. But I'm in the South and the bees can fly almost anyday.........
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

How about today? Are they flying today?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    How about today? Are they flying today?
    You betcha and eating up their stores!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for the Varrox Vaporizer, "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Advantec request get a blank look here. I guess it is not used in our dry country. The gap above the top bars does fill up with burr comb but it leaves enough room for a pollen pattie too. In the winter I do not use that top entrance. I put a piece of sound board on and cover that with Styrofoam. The entrance is thru the hole bored right below the handhold on the upper brood body. My bees got some flight days after over a month in. One of two I though was dead was still doing fine. Just down deep and quiet.

Plain 3/4" plywood will last almost indefinitely on top of a hive around here. 3/4 doesn't warp significantly. I have also used 1/2". I will warp a bit, but the bees don't care. A stick under one corner makes a top entrance.

I bought some plyform from a local lumber yard for $31 a sheet. You can get 10 tops out of a piece. That works out to a little over $3 per top. It's normally used as a form in concrete construction. Just cut it to fit the top of a hive I can't think any other top is easier to make. The plyform is an exterior grade plywood so it holds up well to the weather.

Quote Originally Posted by johng View Post
    Just cut it to fit the top of a hive I can't think any other top is easier to make. .
    About the same price as a sheet of Advantec. Advantec and plywood has the same cut and same number of tops from a sheet. About $3.20 per top.

To each his own, but, I personally think Advantec will out perform plywood for tops and feeder tops. Can paint or leave as is.

cchoganjr

>>so tell me what the real purpose is for the wood cleats that run across the narrow width on the top of the migratory tops? O<<

jmgi, the top cleat provides extra strength for the side cleat. It also keeps the wood from warping.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance G View Post
    Advantec request get a blank look here. I guess it is not used in our dry country. The gap above the top bars does fill up with burr comb but it leaves enough room for a pollen pattie too. In the winter I do not use that top entrance. I put a piece of sound board on and cover that with Styrofoam. The entrance is thru the hole bored right below the handhold on the upper brood body. My bees got some flight days after over a month in. One of two I though was dead was still doing fine. Just down deep and quiet.
    Vance,
    Here's a link to the Advantech homepage.
    http://www.huberwood.com/advantech/home-advantech
    There is a "Where to Buy" link in the upper right corner of the page which allows you to enter your zip code and find out who carries it in your area.
    I read about advantech a couple of month ago, and really wanted to give it a try. The good news was a local lumber company right in town carries their product. The bad news is they were out of stock when I went there...after several phone calls trying to find out when they would have it in stock again, it became obvious that their customer service was severely lacking. I finally gave up and moved on.

Vance, is this "2" trapezoid cut out and pivoting on centered nail" an adjustable entry?
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12