Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Breeding Stock, Help

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    If you want to specialize in queens get ready to kiss either your life goodbye or be ready to hire a lot of help. Doing them in the thousands or tens of thousands will require a lot of elbow grease. Ray and Valerie do NOT raise and Cage all those queens in their sleep. The market for additional queens is immense especially the April ones. Making this dream all pay. Thats another issue.
    Phil,

Please accept my humble apologies for slaughtering your first name and referring to you as Paul. Keith tactfully corrected me today on my mistake. I'm hoping my egregious oversight was not the causation of your digress when crafting your diatribe in response to my simple request. LOL

I got to open and heft a lot of those blue boxes today that you referenced in earlier posts; holy cow...... they were jam packed with bees and heavy! How are yours doing this time of year?

Apologies accepted although I wasn't really worried much. I have a beek next door that kept writing checks to the wrong last name for 20 years. Much worse things in life to fret over.

Glad you got to do some real beekeeping today. I do have to let you know that if you crack 100 random hives in the almonds you are unlikely to encounter more than 1 or 2% looking as toasty as the ones I suppose you encountered today. ( You may now be getting the hint about all those pent up drones I was talking about.)

Real beekeeping 99% work. If Blue boxes lets you in on any of his secrets you will have more gold in your pocket than came out of the Kennedy (mine) in beekeeping terms.

Count yourself among a few blessed souls he has opened the vaults of his knowledge to.

I hate to discuss ours after what you went through today as nothing compares. Some are great, some so-so, and some shall we say....are expired.

I am going to bang some ideas around with Keith that might get you going.

Get a good night sleep and be willing to work like a slave again at the next available chance he puts on your plate. This will do yourself well in the long run in making your decision as to whether you ought to jump on the bee band wagon. If you can keep up with Keith 99% of your issues will have already been resolved through Keiths sore muscle therapy and bee apprentice program

Apologies accepted although I wasn't really worried much. I have a beek next door that kept writing checks to the wrong last name for 20 years. Much worse things in life to fret over.

Glad you got to do some real beekeeping today. I do have to let you know that if you crack 100 random hives in the almonds you are unlikely to encounter more than 1 or 2% looking as toasty as the ones I suppose you encountered today. ( You may now be getting the hint about all those pent up drones I was talking about.)

Real beekeeping 99% work. If Blue boxes lets you in on any of his secrets you will have more gold in your pocket than came out of the Kennedy (mine) in beekeeping terms.

Count yourself among a few blessed souls he has opened the vaults of his knowledge to.

I hate to discuss ours after what you went through today as nothing compares. Some are great, some so-so, and some shall we say....are expired.

Get a good night sleep and be willing to work like a slave again at the next available chance he puts on your plate. This will do yourself well in the long run in making your decision as to whether you ought to jump on the bee band wagon. If you can keep up with Keith 99% of your issues will have already been resolved through Keiths sore muscle therapy and bee apprentice program
    Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.. I feel better. I spent a second morning helping ol' blue boxes feeding and yes count my self blessed. It is obvious the man cares a great deal about his bees and takes darn good care of them. It has to be rewarding when your cracking open the hives and they're "jammed up" (I think that was the term!) this time of year. There are a lot of similarities to the cattle business. You have to spend the money taking care of your stock even though sometimes it's really tempting to take short cuts. Bees are the same.. you take care of them, and they'll take care of you. Feed! Feed! Feed!
    I learned a lot... things that are not in books or online. Unfortunately I am sooooo green I did not know what the guys were talking about half the time. As with the cow business, the bee business has a lingo all it's own. I plan on making a complete pest of myself; volunteer to be a slave at any given moment and am hoping try not to look/act like a complete dope when blessed with and opportunity.

Take care and I look forward to meeting you someday.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your reply.. I feel better. I spent a second morning helping ol' blue boxes feeding and yes count my self blessed. It's obvious the man cares a great deal about his bees and takes darn good care of them. It has to be rewarding cracking open hives this time of year and they're "jammed up" (I think that was the term!) . There are a lot of similarities to the cattle business. You have to spend the money taking care of your stock even though sometimes it's really tempting to take short cuts. Bees are the same.. you take care of them, and they'll take care of you. Feed! Feed! Feed!

I learned a lot... things that are not in books or online. Unfortunately I am sooooo green I did not know what the guys were talking about half the time! As with the cow business, the bee business has a lingo all it's own. I plan on making a complete pest of myself; volunteering to be a slave at any given moment, and am hoping not to look/act like a complete dope when blessed with and opportunity.

Take care and I look forward to meeting you someday.

Laurie

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12