Default Reusing boxes from my dead hives

I had three hives die out this past fall and now buying Nucs this spring. I'm not really sure what caused their decline. I'm leaning toward Varroa over load but not sure, or it could of been a virus due to Varroa. First year so lesson learned. My question is, to reuse my boxes do I need to sterilize the insides with bleach or not? I've seen frames done this way so I was wondering about the boxes. Thanks.

Default Re: Reusing boxes from my dead hives

no you don't have to

Thanks for the info. I didn't want to put bees back into my boxes and then someone tell me: You did what and didn't sterilize them man your screwed. Just covering my bases for next spring.

The only times I mess with the boxes after a dead out is when the insides are quite covered with mildew. Then, I scrape and wash them out. The other time is when I decide to re-furbish them. Usually, I TSP them before re-painting and when I do that, they get a good scrubbing. That said, in neither case could you call that "sterilizing" so my goal is not to make the woodenware disease free but to get them reasonably clean or repaired prior to hiving a new colony.
    "My wife always wanted girls. Just not thousands and thousands of them......"