Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Default Re: Why knowingly catalyze a bee apocalypse?

>>Ah yes I see it now. So the twist WLC put on it WAS a dishonest representation of the facts the whole time.<<

And one thing not mentioned is the effort the chem company has put in to relieve that problem. With problems that have been demonstrated, solutions can be worked out.

And even that this case was isolated, happened one time over a couple hundred acres at most, millions of acres over North America is going to be be treated differently going forward.

I guess the other solution would be take the product off the shelf. After all that is what this is all about

Quote Originally Posted by honeydrunkapiaries View Post
    Now I am a pragmatist, I look at things pretty objectively and am not quick to draw conclusion.There probably are beekeepers out there whos bees all died over winter from varroa or starvation... I get that. Now actually living here makes me probably the most realistic objective person on this argument. I am here to tell you that there are VERY good beekeepers and scientists up here that are losing bees from pesticides. I buy my bees from one such person, whos father IS a bee scientists. Has hives and nucs that come out of winter fine, mites are not an issue, corn gets planted, day or two later they are dead. Explain that.
    Super simple down here we call it PPB...... I live in an area that makes your look like a backyard garden. 95% of the ground within 150 miles is corn and beans. and I have no problems, why? cause i am smart enough not to put my bees next to a field to be planted.

OT don't give up, unfortuantly WLC goal is to influence those newbie readers. if we keep him defending his points, most will see teh other side and decide for themselves.

It seems odd to me that people keep putting their bees in areas that are harmful then blame the farmer. I applaud you GM for being on the ball.

Thanks Harga... it seems to me KNOWING that planter dust is a problem, and then still loosing bees to it is the pinnacle of insane and yet it seems to be the norm in Canada.....

>> bees to it is the pinnacle of insane and yet it seems to be the norm in Canada.....<<

You make it out to sound as if this happens on a regular basis.,? Or perhaps I Mis understood your comment.
    I run 900 hives, we use vacume planters using neonic treated seeds. I have yet to corrolate any losses towards the vacume planter.

But it's easy to see how it could happen. But on over all it can't be much a problem otherwise more than one documented case would of been found.

Sorry Ian... Didn't mean it that way....at all...

Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    >> bees to it is the pinnacle of insane and yet it seems to be the norm in Canada.....<<

You make it out to sound as if this happens on a regular basis.,? Or perhaps I Mis understood your comment.
    I run 900 hives, we use vacume planters using neonic treated seeds. I have yet to corrolate any losses towards the vacume planter.

But it's easy to see how it could happen. But on over all it can't be much a problem otherwise more than one documented case would of been found.
    I think it was Dan Davidson, head of the OBA who planted his fields to get out of his tractor and find out all his bees were dead or dying. He is also (or was for conflict of intrests) on the board for the Grain Farmers group.

Here are two interviews by Tibor Szabo, vice president of the OBA http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PNedBNeoKWA and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WeFouWhFDUE they give a pretty good overview of whats going on by someone smarter then me.

I think planting dust is the current theory, which is why the planting practices were put in place. But if you read through the lines it is basically asking farmers to plant their fields in the rain, which is most likely NOT going to happen.

Are you guys useing no till?? Our area here is almost all no till, so dust from equipment is very light. Even in fields that contain bees, control it is easy. the dust is only present for about an hour after planting. and bees must contact it. A simple sheet on the hive does a great job. wetting it the say helps... I have sheeted many hives while pesticides are sprayed on beans and not had problems.

Cant speak for everywhere, but here they till. Kind of one of the things id stress is beekeeping is highly localized in the sense that if I asked you how to overwinter my bees, well you wouldnt know. I think we need to treat the pesticide issue the same way, it may not effect people in different areas the same way because of the same variables.

Agreed, to a point... I for example i don't know squat about canola and Neonics transfer. I do sunflowers (not the same) and I am also DANG sure that knowing whats goin on around your hive is a basic reposibility, more important in my mind than the right time to add supers.

Not sure why you guys till so much, may have to do with time to breakdown last years biomass.

Im not sure either, but I am not a farmer either. In Ontario it is mostly Corn / Soybean rotation, Canola is more out west. That said and kind of off topic, Ive found neonic seeds in deer poop... wonder if anyone has rocked a study on how it effects wildlife.

Well, treated seeds that aren't planted are known to kill wildlife.

While some of you are still focusing on neonic tainted talc dust. The emerging issue with neonics is that it's a water soluble systemic pesticide that's not only translocating away from where the treated seed was planted (in soil, water, and other plants), but it's also persisting in the environment for 3 years and more (Silty clay loam in Sacatchewan had a neonic concentration that wasn't degrading=no half life.).

It's not just about the bees.

Lies and distortion again .. no onew said it wsa degrading, its said.. its was at a level 80% of what the expected after a year....

Salt is also a water soulable pesticide....

If you mean the Saskatchewan, silty clay loam half life of clothiadinin, that was from another study (Goulson, 2013).

The absence of a half life for clothiadinin in that sample came from De Cant and Barret (2010) in an EPA agency report.

Quote Originally Posted by drmanhadan View Post
    Forgive me for my ignorance, but I believe playing the devil's advocate is important before committing oneself to any cause, despite being a beekeeper myself. I'm wondering why the EPA continuously approves neonicotinoids despite implications that they are a major cause of Colony Collapse Disorder. We cannot assume everyone in the agency is stupid or corrupt, especially when they are so concerned with the protection of the environment and wildlife.

What's yall's take on as to why the approval of the insecticide recurs?
    Why are queen bees being bred to lay so much that they burn themselves out??? Could it be the early almond pollination that drives queen breeders to select genetics that favor high numbers in the hive to get that good frame count so the almond brokers pay well for the pollination reward? Even if the queen pushes herself too far in laying and needs to be requeened more regularly? Whether it is intentional or not to breed queens that overload themselves...The end result is that queen bees burn out, and the hive dies off in an unusually short time span that looks strangely enough like "ccd" If a couple big beekeepers blew the whistle on some of those crooked queen breeders that are flooding the market with pushed-to-far queen bees... I have a feeling some queen breeders would be chucking old foul brood combs out along the roads and we'd have a new outbreak of afb or efb....Or some other disease that all of a sudden strikes bee colonies all over the country...and that would mean it's not planned obsolescence breeding causing the bee die offs in the u.s. and all over the world. The idea is to buy queens and package bees every year to keep a portion of crooked queen breeders, and almond pollinators in business. Once again planned obsolescence in the bee world...Translated to the english language in laymans terms: But new every year! Throw away bees not ccd.... Buy more. Anybody forced to raise their own queens understand the short duration of life that queen bees have these days. What's going on right now with this ccd scare is pesticide companies making money, queen breeders getting rich, and a huge interest in beekeeping that hasn't been seen since montgomery ward used to sell beekeeping equiptment at the sears stores. That also means alot of bee equiptment being sold along with mite treatments. Why complain when you're making money right? Everybody gets their palms buttered with cash except the beekeeper that is keeping bees for honey production. If you're pollinating almonds you've lucked out because you get bees that are bred for pollination, not honey production. More people need to speak up about this. Entomologists get research money and paychecks, so they certainly wouldn't stand behind such a claim. Planned obsolescence is a rarely admitted to but rather regular practice in modern society. People need to be honest and stop blowing trumpets over the ccd, when it should be called QCD: Queen Collapse Disorder The queen breeders(honey oriented beekeepers) that raise queens to last several years are humble, and don't get enough thanks or appreciation for their honesty.
    Last edited by grumpybeeman; 02-01-2014 at 07:33 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    ...Can you name one single U.S. beekeeper who doesn't want the current EPA pesticide approval process reformed to better protect both native and managed pollinators?
    Can't do it?
    Because we all want it reformed.
    No, we would like it to be better than it is. Advocating for 'reform' is like voting for 'change'. Everyone has a different idea of what 'better' looks like, and they can all be corralled under the same tent _if_ the meaning of 'reform' (or 'change') is kept ambiguous. That way, the powers that be obtain the power to 'reform' from the masses...and the nature of the 'reform' doesn't have to be addressed, and no group, interest, or individual that advocated for 'reform' gets what they wanted and no one's interests are served.

deknow
    The irony is free. It's the sarcasm you are paying for....ironically.
    -Felicity Jones in "Chalet Girl"

From Health Canada's web site:
    New 2014 requirement

When using a seed flow lubricant for planting corn or soybean seed treated with neonicotinoid insecticides clothianidin, thiamethoxam or imidacloprid, only the Fluency Agent by Bayer CropScience is permitted to minimize the potential for abrasion that produces insecticidal seed dust. Talc and graphite are not permitted to be used as a seed flow lubricant for corn or soybean seed treated with these insecticides. Carefully follow the use directions provided with the Fluency Agent by Bayer CropScience.

Quote Originally Posted by grumpybeeman View Post
    If a couple big beekeepers blew the whistle on some of those crooked queen breeders that are flooding the market with pushed-to-far queen bees...
    Who are they?

Page 16 of 21 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast