Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: brooding after winter solstice

understood keith and thanks.

i am intrigued about how a whole year's work comes down to just a few weeks.
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post

i am intrigued about how a whole year's work comes down to just a few weeks.
    SQ, very well said.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Orientation flights this afternoon.

good stuff hb, you and i should be getting about the same weather. are you seeing a little pollen coming in here and there?

No, Squarepeg, I didn't. The henbit and dandelion just kind of goes in and out at best right now. I probably won't see any really substantial pollen at the earliest until the maples and more likely with the pears.

same here. the rare bee will have some pollen, maybe from the neighbor's ornimentals. but i agree we're not there yet. i guessing a few weeks from the juniper starting, and a little longer than that for the maples. thanks for the reply.

Quote Originally Posted by squarepeg View Post
    makes sense. more bees per pallet and i guess you are paid by the frame of bees?
    Not really. you are paid for a specific number of frames per hive. They offer bonuses for more but if you do the math you are loosing considerable money per frame if you provide those "Bonus" frames. One example I was sent would have paid about $23 per frame for 7 frames of bees. but to send 9 frames of bees the price per frame dropped to a bit over $18. Quite an incentive to send weaker hives if you ask me. The "bonus" for up to 11 fraems of bees made it even worse. The way I see it. the only way they can legitimately be calling that a bonus is that there is plenty of boning going on.

I need some help. I will pay you 12 dollars an hour unless the job goes on for 12 hours. IF that is the case I will pay you $8 an hour. Just think of how much longer you will be making money. You can bet it will take 12 hours to do that job and your pay woudl be exactly the same.

Now sending hives with 9 frames. and only getting $9 per frames for those extra two rather than the $23 you got for each of the other 7. you are basically sending every 5th hive completely free. Better to just send them 7 frames of bees in every box and getting paid $23 for every frame of bees you send.

To me a bonus looks like $24 per frames for that 8th and 9th one. So how about an offer that reads more like. $165 for 8 frames of bees $190 for 9 and $215 for 10. Now that is a bonus.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Would a double hive that has twice as many bees than a single have more than twice the foragers?
    What percent more?

Most of my full size hives have two frames of brood, the nucs have 1/2-1 frame of brood. I will have to move the nucs up into singles by mid to late January.

I'm not trying to be smug because I could actually use a break, but S. California has been experiencing mid-summer temps most of the fall/winter. All hives I see have been brooding considerably and drone production is on the upswing. Pollen just started coming in and they are bulking up. I'll have a very busy year.

On the negative side this will be the second record-breaking driest year in a row, I feel bad for anybody that has bees in the countryside. It's as dry as a popcorn fart out there.

~Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by FlowerPlanter View Post
    Would a double hive that has twice as many bees than a single have more than twice the foragers?
    What percent more?
    I read the other day that studies have shown 1/3rd or 33% more. What I read was in terms of numbers of bees. so if you have a colony with 15,000 bees and they make 10 lbs of honey. a colony with 30,000 bees will make 26 lbs. and a colony of 60,000 would make 65 lbs.
    For a hive of 8 frames of bees. not only doubling but double plus 33% makes each frame increase productivity by .0375%. So not only should a grower pay the full price of every other frame. about 4% should be added to every frame in the hive. so the price on the 9th frame should be the price of every other frame of $20. plus the 80 cents for every frame in the colony of $7.20, making just the fair price on that frame $27.20. for a total rental of $187.20. And that is just paying for what they get. there is no bonus in it.
    Stand for what you believe, even if you stand alone.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123