Default How to protect old brood comb in swarm traps in the south?

For many years in a row, SHB/wax moths have destroyed any old brood comb that I put in swarm traps in Atlanta. Do you know of any way to protect the comb in a swarm trap in the south? Do you know where can I buy some Bt-Aiwazai powder? Sundance no longer sells it.
    Thanks a lot,
    Stavros

Default Re: How to protect old brood comb in swarm traps in the south?

Bt Aiwazai seems to be available on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Xentari-XenTari-BT/dp/B004CZ1MOM
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Good price, I paid forty dollars for a pound.

The best way I have come up with so far is to take the comb out of the trap every four or five days (incubation period for wax moth eggs), replace with new bait comb and freeze the original comb over night. Four or five days later, exchange the new bait comb with the original comb and freeze the newer bait comb. Basically, 2 sets of bait comb per trap so that you can continually rotate and freeze. This is what I'm planning on doing this coming season close to where I live. The farther traps will not have comb, just lure due to the amount of time involved in checking those. I have not tested this method yet, so take with a grain of salt. I'm also planning to experiment with using 5 gallon styrofoam coolers for traps. It beats paying $20 for a swarm trap out of a catalog. Good luck!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

I cut out the wax except for some on the sides and a thin strip along the top. The queen seldom lays near the side edges and not always along the very top. My thinking is that that part of the comb will not have brood cases to attract the moths.
    Lawrence Heafner
    15 hives; 15 years; TF for 10; Zone 7B