Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: commercial beekeeping

Ben, That depends on your DOT number. I run ag plates on my 1 ton 12000# GVW, have a US DOT # that ends in NY and I am valid only to run in NY. I believe that you have to run commercial plates to get a regular US DOT# that allows you to go anywhere.
    All I know is you cannot get a straight answer from anybody at DMV, DOT etc. I still get calls from DOT wondering about my medical card and who does my safety training. Not required per a DOT trooper we know.
    PA does not like NY ag plates I hear.
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by HungryBear View Post
    Can you explain the state fees? I just changed my registration from commercial to ag. It will save me $54 every 2 years. Down side is now every November I have to do the registration instead of every 2 years, but its saving me money still.

I plan on doing that with my other 1 ton soon as well.

The DMV told me some states don't recognize a ag registration. I don't know what that means, but if its legally registered here, it should be good in every state.

My F-450 is registered w/ Agricultural plates and my USDOT# does not end in NY. (maybe I better check that) Maybe Nick has a NYDOT# and that is why he is only valid in NY. Why did you do that, Nick? Never plan to take it out of State?

Do you have a CDL, Nick? Maybe that's why they keep calling you.

I have never had any trouble w/ PADOT. Never been stopped and never had to go thru a weigh station. I travel the length of 81 all the way thru PA 6 or 8 times a year. What makes you say that PA does not like NY AG plates? They are just a different form of Commercial plate, aren't they?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Hi Mark,
    A beek friend of mine in NE PA said to watch out. might bee a local thing.
    No, I do not have a CDL and I don't plan to go out of state.( today at least) I don't remember why I registered it like that at the time but it seemed to fit what I am doing-pulling the skidsteer and running bees for honey. The flow is on!
    Nick
    -Its fun getting old-everything is new every day

I don't know why you would have any trouble going out of State w/ a NYDOT # and AG plates, unless they say FARM on them and not Agricultural.

Don't have a CDL, don't need a drug card. Work for yourself, you do your own safety training.

Nectar flowing here too.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Well, considering the initial investmest of the equipment you'd need, the expences of running them, the lack of revenue as your increasing them, I reckon it'll be taking a great chunk out of your retirement saving. Then figure in the bad years (and there will be bad years). If your wanting $30,000.00 after expences and taxes or how ever that works out for you, you'd have explore markets in near almost everything. I guess ideally you'd want to raise queens, sell nucs, pollenation at least 2 contracts per hive per year, plus a good and hefty honey production along the way and It might be acheivable if you can survive to that point and if you do survive, you won't be retiring anytime soon. managing colonies to be at their most productiveness is a full time job.
    Will Gruenwald Chilliwack BC

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123