Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: switching to small cell . How do i do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Duranthas View Post
    I was told that if that is all you give them, then that is what they will use. I did just that and they took right to it. Be warned however, I discovered that since all they had was small cell they completely glued the frames together between upper and lower boxes with burr comb trying to make drones.
    thanks I like drones.

Thanks for all the help the lord knows I need it.

I installed a nuc one week ago and inserted foundationless frames with starter sticks in between drawn frames from the nuc. 4.9 plastic foundation frames I put at either end. I made sure the hive was level side to side. Today was my first inspection and I was shocked. The more centered foundationless frames have comb built out almost to all sides! I took an outer frame that just had a couple of inches of comb and measured it---disappointed to find that it was still 5.4 but I will keep at it. They have not touched the plastic frames on either end

I just used my husband's new belt sander and it was terrific at shaving frames to 1 1/4 inches! Safe and very quick

some years ago I started with purchased nucs from a commercial operation. I put them on foundation-less frames. The results were horrible. I succeeded only after acquiring survivor bees. The survivor bees were small and made smaller cells, but I think the reason they survived was not because they made smaller cells, but because they had learned to survive without our help. So I am skeptical of regressing commercial bees. Why not try to trap some swarms away from any beekeepers, or get on your 911 call list. My sister in Thomasville has caught several swarms that way.

This is my first year bee keeping. I wanted to go foundationless but the packages that I bought were not building comb as fast as I had expected so I broke the foundation into fourths and put 1/4 on each side of the frame leaving the center open and they have really gone to town making comb. I wanted the bees to decide what size they wanted.

I've found they do not like plastic frames. I have some small cell that they build fins off that I had to take out and replace with foundationless.

Now I did put extra wax on some, and put them directly in the brood nest. These got drawn out nicely. A trick from Harley I believe is to pour some wax into a toilet paper cylinder mold, and rub wax on on site if necessary. I used a roller. Trouble is that a new beek doesn't have lots of wax to play with.

My foundationless seem to run about 5.1. I wanted to introduce some small cell in the heart of the brood nest to see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by lharder View Post
    I've found they do not like plastic frames. I have some small cell that they build fins off that I had to take out and replace with foundationless.

Now I did put extra wax on some, and put them directly in the brood nest. These got drawn out nicely. A trick from Harley I believe is to pour some wax into a toilet paper cylinder mold, and rub wax on on site if necessary. I used a roller. Trouble is that a new beek doesn't have lots of wax to play with.

My foundationless seem to run about 5.1. I wanted to introduce some small cell in the heart of the brood nest to see what happens.
    I tried putting empty frames positioned between two frames with plastic foundation but they didn't seem to be interested in the empty frames. That is when I started using frames with partial foundations inserted. My plan was to rotate the frames until there are only partial frames then integrate into foundationless frames. I'm not sure what size my foundation is but my hope was that the bees would produce smaller cells with the newer comb.

I do have a little extra wax from burr comb which I can use. I think I will try using a small cylinder made from cardboard instead of the toilet paper roll until I get enough wax for the larger roll.

Can't blame the bee sisters for not linking plastic foundation, if I had the choice between a plastic ring or a gold one I'd take the gold.

Quote Originally Posted by ValC View Post
    I tried putting empty frames positioned between two frames with plastic foundation but they didn't seem to be interested in the empty frames. That is when I started using frames with partial foundations inserted. My plan was to rotate the frames until there are only partial frames then integrate into foundationless frames. I'm not sure what size my foundation is but my hope was that the bees would produce smaller cells with the newer comb.

I do have a little extra wax from burr comb which I can use. I think I will try using a small cylinder made from cardboard instead of the toilet paper roll until I get enough wax for the larger roll.

Can't blame the bee sisters for not linking plastic foundation, if I had the choice between a plastic ring or a gold one I'd take the gold.
    I've done the same, say a super of alternating plastic frames with foundationless. Bees don't seem to really see it. As the start to fill up the boxes they are in. I'll pull up a couple frames with brood and they start populating and filling the box with wax. At the same time they will move the brood nest up in response to this and maybe leave some comb behind in the lower boxes. This time of year, they are starting to put away some honey. If they have some empty comb underneath, then I put it right above their brood nest and I'll start pyramiding down. I always want them building some comb when there is a flow even if they have some comb. But I'm still learning and am sure I will change my mind on this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12