Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Default Re: Pollination of soybeans

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cryberg View Post
    Arthur your whole idea isn't relevant. We have a perfectly good self fertile crop and you want to change it into a pollinator dependent crop. That is simply insane. The seed companies are going to select for self fertile every single time as farmers have zero interest in supporting pollinators. Farmers also have zero interest in nectar bearing soy beans. Why have a plant waste energy making useless nectar when it could put that energy into beans? So, if nectar is of any detriment at all in terms of bean yield give a bit of time for selective breeding to happen and there will be zero nectar for bees to gather. You really need to stick to making coca cola honey in NYC with your one roof top hive which you do not even harvest rather than telling others about business issues you know nothing about. Listen real carefully - There will never be a market in the next 50 years for pollination of soy beans where farmers will pay $2 a hive per season. End of story right there.
    Thank you, you can put it into words better than me.

I do read the scientific literature.

I found an interesting observation made by Brazilian scientists studying soybean pollination by Honeybees.

They not only said that the design of the soybean florets not only lend themselves well to pollination by Honeybees, they also stated that it appears that they only resort to self-pollination as a last resort after not having been insect pollinated.

Have you ever actually seen a soybean field in full bloom? Have you ever seen bees work soybeans?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Cryberg View Post
    Arthur your whole idea isn't relevant. We have a perfectly good self fertile crop and you want to change it into a pollinator dependent crop. That is simply insane. The seed companies are going to select for self fertile every single time as farmers have zero interest in supporting pollinators. Farmers also have zero interest in nectar bearing soy beans. Why have a plant waste energy making useless nectar when it could put that energy into beans? So, if nectar is of any detriment at all in terms of bean yield give a bit of time for selective breeding to happen and there will be zero nectar for bees to gather. You really need to stick to making coca cola honey in NYC with your one roof top hive which you do not even harvest rather than telling others about business issues you know nothing about. Listen real carefully - There will never be a market in the next 50 years for pollination of soy beans where farmers will pay $2 a hive per season. End of story right there.
    Nuff said?

Did someone just ask me if I've ever seen a legume or a bee on a legume?

No. They specifically asked you if you ever seen a soybean field in full bloom and have you ever seen bees working soybeans.

I've seen plenty of crops growing, including soybeans.

However, I've never seen a bee on soybean. I have no reason to be in a soybean field, especially in July.

Frankly, I've seen bees on legumes so many times, I'm surprised to hear that there are soybeans that bees won't touch.

Regardless, there's peer reviewed research, as well as beekeeper verified evidence that it does occur.

The research is saying that it does improve yields.

Not to sound rude, but this discussion is not about other legumes. Its specifically about Soybeans.

Is there a difference between research science and application science?

Agricultural scientists from around the world have been working on this for decades.

From here in the U.S., Brazil, Canada, and Australia...

Did you even bother to look at any of the links I've posted near the beginning of the thread?

No I did not bother to read them.

Do you see a difference between research science and application science?

Buddy, I can't think of any other way to test for Honeybee pollination of soybeans except out in the field.

They've got pictures and everything, including a picture of a Honeybee visiting a soybean floret.

I don't know why you think that it's my job to convince anyone that Honeybees can forage on soybeans.

My 'gig' is pointing out that there's research showing a potential new market in soybean pollination.

Actually you can call me Brian vice Buddy.

You still haven't ansered my question about research science and application science. Does it really matter someone snapped a picture of a honeybee on a soybean floret and you seen said picture?

If you believe there is such an amount of money to be made then go be the next Joe Traynor in pollination and make millions on it. Backup the research with your applied proven science and prove there is a way to generate a new market in the pollination world.

Is your "gig" really to point out research and try to convince seasoned beekeepers of a possible new market? How much do you earn doing that?

Again I am not trying to sound rude. Just questioning.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post

Did you even bother to look at any of the links I've posted near the beginning of the thread?
    Actually, yes, I did. I didnt find enough specificity to even pique my interest. Been working on it for decades? What exactly have they got for us then?
    Look, there are millions of acres of soybeans in the country and several million bee hives as well. Have you bothered listening to any of the feedback you are being given on this thread by experienced beekeepers? You obviously want to be perceived as a bee researcher yet, as near as I can tell, your research amounts to google searches and your experience dosent extend beyond the boroughs of NYC. I know you may not want to hear this and I dont say it with any malice, but if you want to be the next great bee researcher (and the first anonymous one) then you need to do what every reputable researcher does, you need to get hands on, get dirty, get "boots on the ground" and actually experience what it is that you are proposing.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Well, the 'Soyeros' of Brazil are currently testing out pollination of soybeans by Africanized Honeybees.

So, I think that we're about to hand over the soybean crown.

However, It's not over yet.

You need to get your pallets onto soybeans where practicable.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    You need to get your pallets onto soybeans where practicable.
    We have our bees in North Dakota during the summer. Our family farms there. They grow soybeans, wheat, canola, clover and sunflowers. The bees do not spend anytime working the soybeans. We have been doing it for the last five summers. Enough testing for me.

The only way I could see it working, is if you had a plot of organically grown, genetically unmodified crop and there were no other other food sources nearby.
    Last edited by Crabo; 12-24-2013 at 08:36 AM.

I've kept bees on soybeans since I first started keeping bees more than 12 years ago. The classic summer crop rotation in my area is cotton, corn, and soy. The hives on cotton produce lots of surplus honey when the weather is real hot with the right amount of rain. This honey has a very distinctive taste and will not be mistaken for other honeys. The bees on soy will also produce a crop of honey under the right conditions. Again, hot temps and the right amount of rain is critical. When I say hot, this is Virginia hot with really high humidity.The soy yield is not typically as large as you get off cotton, but most years we get a crop. 2011 and 2012 were great soybean yields, 2013 was much cooler and the yields were VERY poor - virtually zero. The honey from soybeans is far different than cotton, and I feel has a substantially better taste. Oh, and there is NOTHING else blooming at the time in my area which could produce decent yields. Areas away from cotton/soy are in a major dearth in July and August.

Yes, I have witnesses bees working soybean flowers. You really need to get into the beans to observe this, but at least in my area it does occur. In my area, beans are not sprayed much. I have a great working relationship with the farmer so I know when and what exactly is sprayed and see virtually no kills. Last summer I mentioned the research on increased yields to the farmer and he was very skeptical of the value or even if bees were present in the beans. It really doesn't matter much to me as I don't ever plan on becoming a commercial pollinator, I just want a safe and productive place to keep bees.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Quote Originally Posted by AstroBee View Post
    Yes, I have witnesses bees working soybean flowers. You really need to get into the beans to observe this, but at least in my area it does occur.
    I too have witnessed bees working the soybeans as I used to keep bees on a soybean field while living in Missouri. I agree you have to be right in the thick of the beans to see them working it. I never had a pesticide kill on them while on beans.

I have also witnessed the bees completely ignoring the beans. Most likely due to the shortage of rainfall and lack of irrigation on beans in Missouri. Its not viewed as a crop that needs to be irrigated.

How much honey on average do your bees make on Soybean?

Cotton, Soy, Corn, Rice, Wheat, Oats are the main crops around here.... I'd guess that the hives make ~2+ supers off the beans/cottons... If you pull it as soon as it's capped... But we usually go into a decent dearth around the same time.. So if you pull all surplus, your need to be feeding... I usually pull about 1 super that I assume is soy/cotton... The rest of our flow is month of april/may/june when soy/cotton isn't blooming. The guys that "know" what they are doing average around 80lbs a hive on the beans.. At least that's my understanding... I haven't gotten it figured out yet... I pull 100+lbs off one hive and feed the other...

Hoping that all the hives do 50+ this year, planning to get them started earlier. *crosses fingers*
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Quote Originally Posted by BMAC View Post

How much honey on average do your bees make on Soybean?
    Typically I'll get two mediums of surplus. On a really good year three or four mediums. This past summer the bees just survived.
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast