Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Default Re: Pollination of soybeans

I doubt if farmers (at least in Indiana) are going to pay for bees unless there is undisputed evidence that it will make enough in yields to pay for the bees AND Make more money per acre.
    Then again why would soybean seed companies want to make a soybean that relies on bees?? That would also be more weather dependent.
    There are a lot of studies being done to get to a self pollinating almond tree, wich may be a few years down the road! But until then they rely on beekeepers to supply bees, which relying on someone else besides themselves to produce a decent crop.
    Most Farmers planting soybeans will not want to depend on someone else (that has no investment in their crop) to bring bees in.

How many hives per acre would it take to make a difference? And that's if they don't choose something else besides the beans.
    It is my understanding that where the almonds are there is nothing else for the bees to pollinate, so the bees have no chose.

Ninja Bee Strike Force! 300 bushel per half acre yields with double crop rotation... All while wearing black masks.....

I hope it all pans out, but as previously pointed out... There are 4+ million acres of beans being grown in a 5+ hour radius of me... Someone somewhere would have probably noticed that the fields next to the bees have a 10%+ average than the ones without..

But maybe not... It's like the Godzilla taco bell commercial... I think I need a bigger hive...
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

Well, since using Honeybees to pollinate soybeans is such a new market, I'd think that the first efforts would be exploratory in nature.

You would need to get the right people in the same place, with perhaps some of the research for talking points, and see where it goes from there.

I don't see pollination fees as being the first order of business.

It's more along the lines of setting up informal trials.

We don't know what the benefits are to either soybean farmer or beekeeper. Not yet.

Sounds like you should be the pioneer in Soybean Pollination business. Maybe become the next Joe Traynor for pollination services.

Last edited by LSHonda310; 12-23-2013 at 04:46 PM.

The last time I made a serious crop on soybeans was more than a decade ago. The last time I had serious losses from spraying of soybeans was als about that long ago (but not the same year). I would guess either the soybeans were blooming or the weeds were blooming at the time they were sprayed. Since round-up ready soybeans came out I've gotten neither a crop nor harm from spraying them... probably because there is not a weed left alive in the field...
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

"Where is the new market at?'

As far as I can tell, it's in the South.

They've got plenty of bees, and they got way more soybeans than they can shake a hive tool at.

They've even got vast acreages of irrigated soybeans.

I guess you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

Last edited by LSHonda310; 12-23-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LSHonda310 View Post

I think the only benefits would be a little more yield for the farmer and just a place to put bees for the beekeeper (no money for pollination).

Then again the yield would have to be substantial to put up with having bees all over your farm and trying to not kill them by spraying. Too much risk for the gain, farmers are making enough now to jeopardize their lively hood by change.

This is why I keep my bees in the beans... the beans get less spraying, and the farmers I work with go out of their way to ensure they don't get sprayed. The hives being obvious, keep them front and center in the farmers minds when its spray time.

I have also talked to and worked with the state maintenance crews..... and they don't spray around hives. its amazing what you can do with a 15 minute conversation.

Same here. The farmer I set my hives on only sprayed some glyphosate around the field perimeter this year and no pesticides for I.P.M. As far as weeds in the ditch, soybeans bloom during our summer dearth here.
    Last edited by hillbeekeeper; 12-23-2013 at 03:06 PM.

I am going to sign up on Drift Watch https://driftwatch.org
    Looks like 9 states so far have the program.

Most of the big ag spray outfits around here have Drift Watch on their computer so when they locate the field they are going to spray it will alert them to possible drift problems, for example bees or any specialty crop that is signed up in the program.

Quote Originally Posted by LSHonda310 View Post
    You say there is a new market, but you don't know where it is?
    And how can you be sure the bees will choose the beans over weeds in a ditch??
    It's the 'Delta' soybean area.

Like, in the South.

We're having trouble getting gmcharlie and hill beekeeper out of the soybeans first.

They won't budge.

LSHonda,

I'd say that it's so new, that it is still developing.

I imagine that something similar may have happened as the almond pollination market first developed.

First, you have to get the bees into the soybeans.

Then the market will develop.

Yes as a follow up to some of the previous comments re farmers and spraying, I'd like to give some of them a thumbs up for doing their best for the bees.

I recently met for the first time the farmer next door to one of my bee yards, and discovered that since he saw the bees on his neighbors property, he has without being asked, gone to the trouble of doing all his spraying at night in the hope this will minimise damage to the bees.

This was really going above and beyond, lucky to have such great folks in the world.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

I'd say that it's so new, that it is still developing.

I imagine that something similar may have happened as the almond pollination market first developed.

First, you have to get the bees into the soybeans.
    The big difference is most varieties of almond MUST have pollinators to set fruit. Soybeans MIGHT benefit from honeybees.

Tom

If they're foraging on soybeans in enough density (a little over 1 colony per acre), then you'll see an increase in yield.

That's what the research has shown.

If you're not growing the right kind of soybeans, even in the south, it isn't relevant.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    If they're foraging on soybeans in enough density (a little over 1 colony per acre), then you'll see an increase in yield.

That's what the research has shown.

If you're not growing the right kind of soybeans, even in the south, it isn't relevant.
    Arthur your whole idea isn't relevant. We have a perfectly good self fertile crop and you want to change it into a pollinator dependent crop. That is simply insane. The seed companies are going to select for self fertile every single time as farmers have zero interest in supporting pollinators. Farmers also have zero interest in nectar bearing soy beans. Why have a plant waste energy making useless nectar when it could put that energy into beans? So, if nectar is of any detriment at all in terms of bean yield give a bit of time for selective breeding to happen and there will be zero nectar for bees to gather. You really need to stick to making coca cola honey in NYC with your one roof top hive which you do not even harvest rather than telling others about business issues you know nothing about. Listen real carefully - There will never be a market in the next 50 years for pollination of soy beans where farmers will pay $2 a hive per season. End of story right there.

My fields had beens in them twice since the hives were set.. I spent considerable time checking to see if the bees WERE in the beans.. Then i spent time watching the bees to see where they were going.. I had high hopes, that were miserably dashed. No Soy honey, they were still after the flowers along the roadsides, creek banks and pastures.. Soybeans were fifteen feet from five of the hives, about 200 yards from the rest, covering 300 acres.. SWEET CORN on the other hand was COVERED in bees. My wife refused to go in the garden the hum was so loud in the corn...
    I have read as some posted that bees DO pollinate beans, and that the yield was increased specifically because of the extra pollination.. I didnt spend HUGE amounts of time searching, I just walked the rows, pausing, watching, waiting and checking every few steps.. i did this five different times through the bloom, and counted the bees I saw on one hand actually ON Soybean blooms.. I have to wonder if variety makes a difference? Climate? Or as some mentioned, lack of other resources?

I would also have to wonder about the treated seed being used...
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast