Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Pollination of soybeans

This subject has popped up in bee meetings for decades. There have been verifiable reports of soybean honey produced through the years in Louisiana and Mississippi (perhaps where Eide's reports are from) that I have heard but in the northern US (or at least the north central) the probability of finding bees working soybeans is only slightly greater than the probability of finding Sasquatch out there. No one would be more excited at the prospect of a beneficial soybean/beehive relationship but as Oldtimer pointed out earlier, farmers are a pretty bright bunch. They are always looking for a yield advantage and at current soybean prices and as many beeyards as there are around bean fields, if there was an advantage to be gained, then farmers would be knocking beekeepers doors down to get bees.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Same with canola, in regards to increased yield due to pollination

Aren't soybeans heavily sprayed?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Yes but I have never seen spray loss from it. What does that tell ya?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I don't know? That the bees aren't getting killed by spray applied to soybeans?

Is soy bean pollen nutritionally valuable to honeybees?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

If southern beekeepers and southern soybean farmers managed to team up and increase both soybean and Honeybee productivity, then all other markets would be at a competitive disadvantage.

The South is soon likely to be the major soybean producing region of the country, and the South is already a major Honeybee producing area.

I think that they can potentially capture both markets.

As for the research I've cited, it's relatively new. No one was seriously examining Honeybee soybean pollination before these studies were done.

Have you ever seen a soy flower or tried to pollinate one yourself? I wouldn't wish it on anything, they're really built to self pollinate.

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Yes but I have never seen spray loss from it. What does that tell ya?
    It tells me that they are never in the soybean field to begin with.
    I looked at fields around me this year and couldn't find any honeybees in them.
    I even let my alfalfa field bloom for a while and mostly only helped out the bumble bees and butterflies, must of been flow for bees somewhere else- I would extend my time between mowing the yard and didn't spray my yard this year because I always seen bees working the white clover in my yard ( I have a 2 acre yard)
    Last edited by LSHonda310; 12-23-2013 at 07:19 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Richard, watch the tone.

Regardless, there are southern beekeepers who do see the opportunity. I'm sure that there are a number of soybean farmers who would also like to increase their yields to better than 40 bushels an acre.

I do know that U.S. soybean production has flattened out while South American soybean productivity has surpassed our own.

It really is a vast untapped pollination market.
    Careful how you phrase that . Yields per acre are less, Acres planted is the variable. 77 million at 43 bushels per acre average for 2013

http://link.springer.com/article/10....311-013-0412-8

This study found an 18% increase in yield when Honeybees were used to pollinate soybeans.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not usualy. Thrips can be a problem, as well as other bugs, but as normal beans are not sprayed during any sort of blooming. At least not here in IA/ IL/ IN

As for bees working them, Sorry Jim but it happens quite a bit here in IL. Last season was my best ever for soybean honey. Only crop they had though so that may have been a huge factor. Bees worked beans quite heavily this season. Averaged 3 bees per Square yard 200 yardss from the hives, ( yes I counted) for almost 10 days.

Thats an interesting study but it really says nothing about the variety of soybean they are using. Obviously they had to use a variety with attractiveness to bees to get such results. Seed companies are constantly running side by side yield tests looking for improvements in both yield and other factors such as standibility and disease resistance. My assumption (and its only an assumption) is that newer varieties that are showing an increase in yields most likely get that increase at the expense of nectar production. If attractiveness to bees is never a selection criteria then we will continue to see soybeans being grown that have no attractiveness to bees whatsoever. The bottom line is why would seed producers develop seeds that require the additional expense of having bees brought in, it just dosent make sense.

The abstract from the research paper WLC posted mentions 18% yield increases as compared to other pollinators. The abstract does not provide very much information and I am certainly not going to shell out almost $40 to read the entire paper. Since it wasn't mentioned in the abstract I am going to assume that the authors were not able to determine how or why the soybean yields increased.

In another link WLC posted there was a mention of trying to decrease pod drop. These are fertilized pods that drop while immature. Since I have seen plenty of soybean pods with only one mature bean in them I doubt it is an incomplete pollination issue.

Without knowing why the soybean yields increased we don't know if it is because of honeybees or not.

I believe that The Honey Housholder on Beesource gets good, regular soybean flows here in Ohio. I have hives located adjacent to soybean fields and can only find the occassional honeybee working the soybean flowers.

Tom

Jim:

I've noticed that they're not giving information about the specific cultivars that they're using in these studies. Nothing about Honeybee stocks either.

I've heard that soybean yields haven't increased more than 6% since 2000.

The only information we have in hand is that studies have found increased yields in Honeybee pollinated soybeans in the double digits.

And, beekeepers, mostly in the South, have reported that their bees are foraging in soybeans.

How can I put this, somebody is going to start putting pollinator pallets in soybeans.

It's inevitable.

I already do put bees in beans.... just don't get paid

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    I already do put bees in beans.... just don't get paid
    And...

How well do they do in the beans?

This year it was one of the few crops to produce. We had a terrible season(drought) they worked the beans hard. Last year I saw no bees in beans whatsoever. This year I spent a lot more time looking though.
    It is/can be tough to find the bees working them. the flowers are tiny and a lot of "overhead leaves" the bees seem to stay in the understory of leaves until full. moving from flower to flower very close to the ground.

TWall:

RG Palmer, one of the USDA researchers working on this issue, reported finding 2 cultivars that did well with pollination.

Someone is going to put together the right soybean cultivars, with the right Honeybee stock, and they'll just keep going from there.

Quote Originally Posted by gmcharlie View Post
    This year it was one of the few crops to produce. We had a terrible season(drought) they worked the beans hard. Last year I saw no bees in beans whatsoever. This year I spent a lot more time looking though.
    It is/can be tough to find the bees working them. the flowers are tiny and a lot of "overhead leaves" the bees seem to stay in the understory of leaves until full. moving from flower to flower very close to the ground.
    Now that's spoken like a REAL Farmer/Beekeeper.

We need more just like you.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    RG Palmer, one of the USDA researchers working on this issue, reported finding 2 cultivars that did well with pollination.

Someone is going to put together the right soybean cultivars, with the right Honeybee stock, and they'll just keep going from there.
    Well WLC, there's your big opportunity.

Don't think I'll be investing though.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast