Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Pollination of soybeans

Here's something I've mentioned elsewhere.

The potential market for Honeybee pollination could be easily 10 times what it is today if soybean pollination ever takes off (it increases seed set into the double digits).

We certainly have the technology and heavy industry to make it happen.

Unfortunately, the Honeybees don't seem to be up to anything more than what they can handle right now.

Default Re: Industrial Beekeeper

Basic rule of business WLC. If there's a demand, and it pays enough, someone will fill it.

Let's see first if your prophecy re the beans comes true though.

Surprising as it must be to those who get their beekeeping information from the sensationalist branches of the news media, increasing hive numbers is easily accomplished by commercial beekeepers if they want to do that. The only limiting factor really, is money. So if the soybean guys pay right, more hives will materialise.
    Last edited by Oldtimer; 12-22-2013 at 03:43 PM.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

What does that mean "increase the seed set into the double digits"? I am very interested in what bees may do for the soybean yields. All of the books on it say the bees do nothing, but we certainly make some honey here off the soy.

Just as an illustration of that, (my previous post), beehive numbers in my country use to be in a kind of holding pattern, for years. Then 2 things happened. Varroa struck, and Manuka honey became very valuable.

The varroa removed all the wild hives and suddenly pollination of pip fruit and other crops became a bigger issue. Sensible money started getting paid for it. Manuka transformed struggling beekeepers who for years were teetering on the verge of bankruptcy, into millionaires, almost overnight. The NZ honey "brand" generally got a lift and is now well priced worldwide compared to other honey.

Basic result, money has been flowing into the industry. And the effect of that, is despite everybody I meet telling me bees are in a terrible crisis, the number of managed hives here is 50% higher than it was 10 years ago.

To quote from you, "We certainly have the technology and heavy industry to make it happen". But really, it's just money that oils the wheels.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Pollination helps get yield up on soybeans some, but barely into double digits, like around 11%. Seeing as how soybeans are self pollinating to begin with, I don't see growers paying much if anything for pollination services.

What's the yield of soybeans per acre?

Corn can get to 200 bushels. Yet, I think that soybean prices are higher than corn.

It also depends on the stock of bees. Some stocks will forage and collect pollen that most stocks won't.

My own opinion, if you plant soybeans and keep bees, see what a few hives per acre can do for your yield.

PS-I'm seeing soybeans at around 40 Bu at $13.
    Last edited by WLC; 12-22-2013 at 04:42 PM.

Default Re: Pollination of soybeans

Are you ready for the 100 bushel challenge?

http://www.soyyieldchallenge.com/

Sounds like fun.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    What's the yield of soybeans per acre?

Corn can get to 200 bushels. Yet, I think that soybean prices are higher than corn.

It also depends on the stock of bees. Some stocks will forage and collect pollen that most stocks won't.

My own opinion, if you plant soybeans and keep bees, see what a few hives per acre can do for your yield.

PS-I'm seeing soybeans at around 40 Bu at $13.
    Depends on soil conditions and if they are single or double crop. Typical yeilds for beans in teh midwest will run from low 30, into high 40's

Bees do increase yeilds slightly, IN SOME years. but the number of colonies it would require would be in the billions. not pratical in a monoculture

If you stats are correct we could follow them up as follows:
    1. 40 bu average (US)
    2. with bees 10% +
    3. $13.00 bu ( price of Soy)
    4 5 bu increase x $13 = $65 per acre increased average gross under your assumptions.

How many bee guys are going to move in and out of their summer flow for "I'm gonna Guess" $30+- CASH?

Even more questionable is if the farmers are willing to cough up that much cash.

Then there is the spray issues which is going to be another story!!!!!!!

A financial analyst from Wall Street might see it happening but I have my doubts at the current commodity prices.

Beans at $100 and we begin to talk a whole new game.
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 12-22-2013 at 05:02 PM. Reason: Bad math

Soybeans is a wasted effort for beekeepers, unless they get paid for pollination but I have never heard of that outside if seed production
    Little to no honey to be collected

We average 2200-3000 lbs seed per acre

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Soybeans is a wasted effort for beekeepers....Little to no honey to be collected
    You're right on that ..........soybeans everywhere, honey.............. nowhere!
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

Don't forget the value of the soy nectar/pollen to the beekeeper.

For some beekeepers, it would be worthwhile.

Some do see their bees forage on soybeans and get nectar.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Some do see their bees forage on soybeans and get nectar.
    Not that I know of........... Maybe pollen, but no one that I know or has posted here (that I can find) gets soy honey....
    http://OxaVap.com
    Your source for Oxalic Acid Vaporizers

There's like 10,000 accessions of soybeans and 13 maturity groups alone.

Some have reported getting soybean flows.

One of the Commercial guy near me keeps 300+ hives on soy beans.. I believe he averages 80+ lbs per hive. In an area where 50lbs is the norm..

I'd have to call him up to confirm, but there are definitely people that make honey off soybeans in TN...

The running joke is that our soybean honey gets trucked to East TN and comes back as "sourwood" honey....
    Solo for the last 4 Years, ~60 Hives, TF + Oils.
    http://tradingwebsites4bees.com

I wouldn't hold my breath on this one. Soybeans are notoriously erratic in nectar production, and are self-fertile anyway, so increases in crop are not going to be huge, particularly in light of the current trend toward nectarless beans to reduce problems with army worms (the moth feeds off the nectar while laying eggs).

I live in an area where there are at least 100 acres (and probably much more) in beans within flight distance every year. I will see what happens, since I can walk over to the beans and see what's in them any time I want. Last two years the late beans were a joke -- either way too dry or way too wet for proper germination, and hence low bloom and a really poor crop. This last summer the small field just down the road which is always beans had no bees in it all summer, although they worked it the year before. Maybe different beans (there are thousands of types of soybean) or different weather and no nectar.

I'd rather the locals started raising dairy cattle again. Lots of clover hay needed, and lots of honey from the clover.

Peter

We get soybean honey. Richard Adee says he gets a box a year. He runs deeps. But with the farmers knocking down every tree and fast approaching the ditches this could be a great reason to keep the bee guy around. If I give them a few gallons of honey and such that's nice, but if I directly put 10 20 maybe 50 grand in his pocket now that's great. Maybe not spray the clover out or let the alfalfa bloom for a few days to keep me here!

I built up the two top deeps on my two hives and put most of their winter stored on from soybeans this year. And I didn't get them on 'beans until about the last week of July. The two things you need for soy honey is heat and soil moisture. Which we have ample supplies of.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast