Thread: Ice storm

Default Ice storm

Well, its still raining, starting to warm up but the tops and branches are snapping and coming down.
    20131222_091058.jpg

20131222_092037.jpg

20131222_091016.jpg

20131222_091012.jpg
    3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.

Default Re: Ice storm

Icy here all day, nearly a quarter inch coating vehicles, but completely thawed within a thirty minute drive south. Strange to have such a difference so close and wish I was that side rather than this!

Still building up here, nothing snapping yet.

We have a good crust of granular ice on top of 6 or 8 inches of snow. I haven't heard any branches breaking. I got out and cleared paths to the barn and driveways w/ my Bobcat. The ban on all but essential driving is still on until tomorrow morning. Never lost electricity. Though I know folks who have.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

just got back in, bunch off tree tops snapped, used the dozer and skid steer (thank god for equipment) to push off driveway into the woods, winds are coming up, 30 mph warning, everything is coming off (ice and branches)and hitting the roof as I am typing, ice and small branches. there are two big branches hanging over the peak of the roof, waiting for the big bang. Looks like everything is over, just finish the cleanup tomorrow.

20131222_171313_LLS.jpg

20131222_122946.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    3rd generation Disabled Veteran, oldest son is 4th Generation Disabled Veteran...its a family tradition.

We have 1/4" on everything. No snow though. Ours came on Saturday.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    We have a good crust of granular ice on top of 6 or 8 inches of snow. I haven't heard any branches breaking. I got out and cleared paths to the barn and driveways w/ my Bobcat. The ban on all but essential driving is still on until tomorrow morning. Never lost electricity. Though I know folks who have.
    Mark, good to know it wasn't quite as bad as it could have been. We were worried we might get trees down on the new cabin.
    Ray--1 year, 7 hives, TF

should be fine
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

We came really close to having a real disaster of an ice storm. There are quite a few people without power, and there are damaged trees scattered around. But this is nothing like the really horrible one we had in 2007 when most of the city was without power. If we had another 1/4" of ice or high winds it would have been terrible.

Here's some pictures from the local paper, for those who are interested: http://www.tulsaworld.com/news/local...tml?mode=image

Quote Originally Posted by scokat View Post
    Well, its still raining, starting to warm up but the tops and branches are snapping and coming down.
    20131222_091058.jpg

20131222_092037.jpg

20131222_091016.jpg

20131222_091012.jpg
    Best of luck to ya, I know the helpless feeling of seeing that happen. FWIW in a similar ice storm a few years back I was able to save a lot of my more valuable smaller trees around the house by giving them a good shake though it looks like the damage may already be done on yours.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

not too bad power out for a day so far but it has been off and on...in 1998 we had no power for 23 days in the middle of the winter.

It was 73 in Sharon yesterday in spots. My bees were flying and I was hanging out playing with them in my Tshirt.

Still raining and freezing on contact here although there is water standing in puddles on the snow surface in areas. That is an odd sight.
    Big mess , going to be trouble if the wind kicks up with everything ice coated and heavy.

thats what we had yesterday, all melted now, just the cleanup. predicted to be cold and snowy again tomorrow, so gotta get er done today.