Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Mono wiring tips please

3K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  burns375 
#1 ·
Looking for ways to tie off mono and any other tricks. I am finger changed so I made a large needle out of copper wire. Just flatened one end and drilled eye. Much easier for me to string.

Eyes worth it?

#2 ·
I had a bad experience with mono for wiring frames , the bees chew through it and then tried to drag it out but the other end was still attached in side the hive , never again for me . It was probably because I used 10 LB test, I'd have used much heavier if I new this, I'm set up pretty good for stainless wire now and I don't have any worries and I can embed it to the foundation , some times the shortcuts aren't worth it but I know alot of folks that have good luck with it , to each his own , again !!!! Good luck

#6 ·
You should use an even number of lines across since uneven numbers put a diagonal strain on the frame.

I have used just two instead of four crossers on deeps but they can get some wows. The time and material saved is not worth the lack of support on some batches of foundation. Driving a small brad and wrapping a couple of turns of mono line on makes a good anchor and tie off. Knotting it too fiddly for my fingers.

#8 ·
When I use mono (30lb+), I have a jig that squeeze the frame.. I thread it through the holes like you wire normally.. When get to the top/end... I pull out enough that I staple it, double over the staple and staple it again...

Then I pull the mono tight, up over the frame and staple, then double over and staple again...

Between me pulling it tight and the jig squeezing the frame tight. The mono comes out piano string tight...

You could do it the same way, with wrapping around a nail and tapping it in.. I just found the staple to be as good and a little quicker...

#9 ·
I do two lines per frame. I thread it through all holes, and tie it to itself. I you use heavy mono, you can pull it banjo tight with your hands. The knot will slip as you tighten it, which allows you to get it very tight with one yank. Then I stabilize the knot with a dab of Titebond. None have slipped on me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.