Default Box painting tip

Here's something a nubee told me I wish I'd thought of 40 years ago, thought I'd pass it on.

When I paint boxes, the tops & bottoms & joints get painted by doing them in the stack before the boxes get assembled. Then the boxes are assembled, get 2 coats paint & left to dry for a day before getting stacked alternately as per the pic.

Here, the problem. The paint where the boxes are touching each other is dry, but only a day or two old so still soft. By the time I come to use the boxes they can be firmly joined together and you have to sometimes break wood getting them apart.

So, here's the tip. - While stacking them, have a rag soaked in cooking oil and give the contact points between supers a wipe with it. Doesn't seem to hurt the paint and the boxes come apart much easier later.

Who said old dogs cannot learn new tricks.

44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Default Re: Box painting tip

I stack them up and hit them with a brush in the hand holds, roller on the sides then put fluted masonry nails between the boxes (or in this picture shims that I finished today). There is nothing special about the nail type; it was just a big box of nails from the clearance rack. The thing that I wish I was told sooner was to use a full color acrylic stain for the primer (oops paint). The stain covers better than the white primer and it only cost me $7.
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...ps458bb442.jpg
    http://i1141.photobucket.com/albums/...psdaa604d9.jpg
    The odd thing is the stains have a 4 year warranty and the acrylic exteriors have a 30 yr. I wonder why the disparity?
    It takes me longer to clean up then to paint stacks of boxes.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

>Here's something a nubee told me I wish I'd thought of 40 years ago, thought I'd pass it on.

I am surprised that color is legal in New Zealand.

Quote Originally Posted by odfrank View Post
    I am surprised that color is legal in New Zealand.
    Perhaps not in Uganda in view of the new legislation they passed 3 days ago.

Funny story though, the hives I sell are many different colors, just whatever I painted them with on the day. A gay lady was choosing one and I said what color would you like, pink?

The answer was a very pointed NO.

It was only days later when thinking about it I suddenly realised the issue.
    44 years, been commercial, outfits up to 4000 hives, now 120 hives and 200 nucs as a hobby, selling bees. T (mostly).

Shes a man baby! LOL

Wooster 4" mine roller for me and a zip lock baggey for the skin when I am done. Had one in a baggiey all summer long.
    David.