Default Dartinton hive questions

I am new to beekeeping and have been looking at different hive designs. I am going to have langs, but I saw a hive called a beehaus that is manufactured in England for urban beekeepers. This design is based of one called the dartington designed by Mr. Robin Dartinton. Has any one used one of these or seen them used? It seems like a low maintenance hive style and that is what I am looking for for my mothers garden. Would a top bar be better? Thanks all.

Default Re: Dartinton hive questions

I made one similar. It seemed to work fine. I made mine using Modified Dadant frames 11 in deep. It had legs so it was up to working height. I could put regular shallow langstroth supers on top two wide. I know there was a few producers in years ago who used long hives. One was F. J. Mongin, Green Bay Wisconsin in about 1921 who used long brood chambers with 19 frames in them. He could then put supers on top. He used regular langstroth supers and could stack them on beside the other and on up. He did not put legs on his hives...they were pretty much ground level according to the photo and he had them inside a circular house. He was said to be quite successful. Also a man named O. O. Poppleton and he was a very successful beekeeper.
    Here is some info on long idea hives ... http://www.beesource.com/forums/arch.../t-226468.html
    Bee a blessing to God and others.

>This design is based of one called the dartington designed by Mr. Robin Dartinton. Has any one used one of these or seen them used?

Dartington's hive is based on British Standard frames. It will not be very convenient here in the US to get supplies for that.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

As a UK beekeeper I have an example of both the Dartington and Beehaus, yes uk National 14x12 frames and definitely not low maintainanc., Its basically two hives in one as the long box has a movable divider and entrances both ends, super or honey boxes are half sized so if you have back problems they are smaller and lighter. The hive needs the same inspection routine as any other and the biggest brood nest I have ever managed was 18 frames, they are both empty now as bees work better in double broods vertically, new beeks are interested in seeing them but I doubt if I will ever put bees back in them.

Yeah, I have been hearing very mixed things about the beehaus. And I can't even get one in the US besides. So it sounds like you are not a fan then?

Stick with a Lang.

Quote Originally Posted by tomcheetoh View Post
    Yeah, I have been hearing very mixed things about the beehaus.
    The Beehaus has no good points at all, certainly no good for keeping bees in.