Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Default Re: Beesource Hall of Fame - Who would you nominate?

Someone set it up. I will try my best to "bee" there.

I would love, to meet in person, all those who contribute to this site.

cchoganjr

we need another Thread to get this thing going?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

Would need to be centrally located for folks. However, Oldtimer has already said in the "1000 visitors" post that he would welcome beekeeper visitors. I'm up for New Zealand!

I'd drive to Chicago if I did not have a conflict. I've always though that gathering at one of the national conferences would be cool too.

The amount of work Barry has put into this website, and the overall grace and good judgment he demonstrates in running it and dealing with all the personalities involved, is really just amazing.

I obviously have lots of people on here that I appreciate, but Barry's work is why we have access to all the information and personalities on this site.

Somebody clever could take all of the locations in the US and figure out where the central location is. Then we could meet somewhere close to there. Easiest to drive to. W/ a good airport.

Chicago would come close. The actual closest to the middle would be Kansas City. If people wanted to come to Tulsa (about 4 hours South of K.C. and not a hub airport), I could make arrangements to get it to coincide with the Big Bee Buzz.

Quote Originally Posted by NeilV View Post
    I'd drive to Chicago if I did not have a conflict. I've always though that gathering at one of the national conferences would be cool too.

The amount of work Barry has put into this website, and the overall grace and good judgment he demonstrates in running it and dealing with all the personalities involved, is really just amazing.

I obviously have lots of people on here that I appreciate, but Barry's work is why we have access to all the information and personalities on this site.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Barry gets my nomination. Many of the folks mentioned are the current crop of hall of famers - old posters who have given up on bees or left Bee Source for whatever reason should not be forgotten. For some (like Chef Isaac) their enthusiasm and curiosity were impressive. Some like Bjorn know an awful lot about bees. I've backed off posting much over the last month to do some thinking about Bee Source. It is similar to a club and any one with persistence can join!

While there is much potential for increasing bee knowledge here, Bee Source is victim to beekeeping fads that originate on Bee Source, and separating the wheat from the chaff can be a large task. New beekeepers need to be of a certain mind set to learn from Bee Source; a weird combination of skepticism and desire to learn are required, and as with many internet forums, a thick skin is required for participation.

Posters come and go on Bee Source. That is the nature of both beekeeping and the Internet. I am grateful to Barry for persevering with the site - though I do miss the days of periodically send him $ instead of seeing all the ads.
    Last edited by Andrew Dewey; 12-23-2013 at 05:22 AM.

I've been a member on this site for 10 years now and I have seen some great beekeeping figures come and go. Like Jim Fisher ( someone help me on his name spelling ) and Allen Dick who brought a tremendous amount of knowledge to these discussions. But as others who come and gone, they left as they did not like the casual squabble that many conversations would bring. I think having a commercial forum and a treatment free forum was a good strategy to help resolve a lot if background noise.

...and let's not forget that Randy Oliver also posted on here for awhile. I assume the background noise got to him as well. The continual chore of having to squabble with someone with experience and background is one thing but, well......you get my point.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

I agree that Barry deserves major kudos (and a nomination) for creating the site. I've learned more from this site than any other source. Before I came here I was told to do this or that without explaination. Now I understand the why's behind the rules and that's made me a better beekeeeper. When you look at who posts now and who has posted in past it really is a "who's who" of the beekeeping world.

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Somebody clever could take all of the locations in the US and figure out where the central location is. Then we could meet somewhere close to there. Easiest to drive to. W/ a good airport.
    Vegas baby.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

The ones I would mention have already been nominated.

Beesource is a wonderful resource. Like the rest of life, you sometimes have to shuck a lot of oysters to find a pearl.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    The continual chore of having to squabble with someone with experience and background is one thing but, well......you get my point.
    Yes I do.
    NUTRA-BEE feed supplements

Beesource wouldn't exist without Barry...

Well, the geographical center of the US is pretty much Omaha, NE... but I'd drive to Chicago. It's probably easier to get Barry to show up there... Omaha isn't a major hub and a hub makes things easier to get to. How about St. Louis?
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post

We really need to have a beesource gathering some day, somewhere.
    Didn't we do this a long time ago,in a land far far away? come on Rader you can find it.

I have seen occasional references to a number of Beesource people meeting at a beekeeping function, such as this HAS meeting:
    http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-home-from-HAS

but searching for this topic is not particularly fruitful as it is difficult to identify meetings whose primary purpose is Beesource itself from all the other beekeeping meetings mentioned on Beesource.

FYI, the "population center" of the USA is at Plato, Missouri, population 109 according the 2010 census. Probably not the easiest transportation arrangements, though.

The village of Plato is about 170 miles SW of St Louis MO. You can visit Plato's granite marker with its stainless steel plaque:
    "We were in the middle of nowhere," said Bob Biram, village chairman. "But now we're in the middle of everywhere." Not only does Plato hold the honor of being named the 2010 Center of Population, the village was the first community in the nation to become incorporated in the new millennium.

http://www.dnr.mo.gov/geology/landsurvey/census.htm
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-23-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

How far from St. Louis is Plato?

I think to make a Beesource Gathering come together it might need to be tacked onto another major beekeeping event in a central location. Perhaps an event where one or more of the above nominees would be speaking. A "Beesource Member" gathering could be planned for after hours. It would be a great time, I'm sure.

I seem to remember something like this being planned years ago but don't remember if it ever came to fruition.
    To everything there is a season....

>How far from St. Louis is Plato?

170 miles. I've heard Hays, KS claim to be the geographical center as well, it's a hard thing to pinpoint as the lines halfway from any point on any coast to any other point don't all converge on the same place. Omaha is as close as Hays or Plato but St. Louis is a major hub as is Chicago.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast