Default A new alternative to track hives, other equipment, and people.

For a long time I have been trying to source a decent product to report GPS coordinates of different objects within a reasonable price range. Most stuff either doesn't work well or has been to expensive until now.

About a month ago I purchased and have activated a new to the market Satellite GPS tracking device that though far from being perfect is a pretty nifty device that might be a useful tool in a commercial beekeepers arsenal.

Here is an link: www.findmespot.com/en/index.php?cid=128

You can check it out and see what you think.

!. Stolen Beehives?
    2. Employees on to long of a lunch break
    3. What yard are the guys at?
    4. Is that semi-driver parked or moving?
    5. Lost while out hunting or backpacking
    6. Many more!!!!!!!!!

All for a hundred bucks a unit and a hundred a year for adequate support. Web access with text movement notifications as programmed if wanted. Downloadable excel file data available.

I have been experimenting with many uses the past few weeks. Inside hives, vehicles out doing bee work, forklifts. etc.....

Last week I shipped it to a family member who will be driving back from Alaska starting Monday 12.23.2013 driving down the AlCan to California. 3000 miles hauling empty package cages back to California.

For those of you who might be interested in following the tracking on the web I can issue share pages that will show the way points.

Once the person leaves I will set up the shared link here so you may get an idea of how it works.

Once its back and I do a few more tests I plan on purchasing additional units. Some places offer discount on 5 or more.

If you'd like just leave a short note on this thread you will get access to the Share link when I post. That's if you get email notifications from the thread.

H-4-All

Default Re: A new alternative to track hives, other equipment, and people.

Interested. Is that $100 per year support for each unit?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Interested. Is that $100 per year support for each unit?

Yes. That will give you as low as 5 minute bread crumbs on movements. To get the "trail" narrowed to 2.5 minutes per crumb the company requires an additional $100 a year.

FYI: I asked and they will give discounts on the "service" if one party signs up for 1000 or more units......... Ya right. Don't even think even the few 50 k hive companies out there would go for that. the link provided as well as the pdf user guide might help you see what it does. http://www.findmespot.com/downloads/...User_Guide.pdf

Looks like my expenses will need to go up next year. Cell booster this year, gsp monitoring next year.

Looks very useful.

Thanks for posting this.

Does anyone have a good cellphone tracking app? I was using Xora but they goofed it up.

Allen. Works good up north also. Just got a text that the thing moved in Anchorage and is on its way for the evening

I inactivated the link until Monday. will repost then
    Last edited by Honey-4-All; 12-21-2013 at 11:53 PM.

I looked at the coverage map. Very impressive where it can send info from.

I see this as particularly useful for things like night moves in beekeeping or quading and canoeing in the back country.

We've used spot for a few years on airplanes. The ones we use send data thru the globalsat satellites, so coverage is not an issue till north of 60. There are times when a plane is flying low in between mountain ridges, they end up shielded by the mountains from a satellite view. On the flat lands, it's never an issue. For tracking aircraft, they give 10 minute breadcrumb type messages while enroute, then, once parked, they'll emit a message after it moves outside of a perimeter. I know of at least 2 incidents in the last few years, where the spot trail led searchers directly to the accident aircraft.

For 'per hive' it would be cost prohibitive, but, I can certainly see it used effectively on a 'per load' basis when shipping bees. For folks quite concerned about theft, maybe 'per pallette' would be justified. If you throw it inside a hive, and are using an outer cover with metal sheet on the roof, that could be a problem, but wooden migratory covers likely wouldn't be a big issue. If burying one in a load for transport, I'd want to make sure that hive went on the top layer.

In our application, the unit gets power from aircraft systems, but for stand alone use, you do want to have a battery replacement schedule in place.

If you would like to follow the use of a new "TRACE" in a vehicle from Alaska to California and see one in action here is a link:

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/f...75BLqCWAVv5jO3