Default New Growing Assurance funding

For all you Manitoba producers,
    Any ideas on how to take advantage of the new Growing Assurance funding now available?
    I'll be participating in the comb exchange as long as they will accept my application. I maxed out the previous Growing forward comb exchange.
    Any ideas in tapping into some bio security initiatives ?
    Ian Steppler >> Canadian Beekeeper's Blog
    www.stepplerfarms.com

Default Re: New Growing Assurance funding

GF2 is tied to attending a Bio-security worskshop. And if you maxed out the comb exchange last time I do believe you won't be eligible for it this time around. Are you on Rheal's mailing list?

Yes I am.
    Too bad they will not renew the comb exchange program.

What bio security initiatives ideas are there floating around?

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    What bio security initiatives ideas are there floating around?
    Bio security is a bureaucratic codeword for traceability. I'm sure the cattle side of your operation is already knee deep into that field, with rfid tags on the animals and readers at strategic locations. That works, because the infrastructure is in place already in the cattle industry, to track forward thru the processing facilities etc. The end goal of that system, is to trace back thru the databases when a health event happens, potentially back not just to the farm, but the specific animal on that farm, along with the history of that animal.

How would it apply to your honey production. Does beemaid already have a system in house for tracking honey thru thier processing chain ? Based on batch codes etc, can they trace bottles back to a specific barrel, or set of barrels that arrived ? If so, then a few logical extensions on that exist. The simplest would be to print barcodes for the barrels as they are filled, with date / batch codes that will scan directly into the beemaid system.

If you want to go deeper than that on the traceability side, I can think of a number of ways to do it, but the questions will become a little different. The primary question will be, how much labour is inserted into the process, and how it is offset with some sort of value ?

But it really does depend on what downstream infrastructure is in place, and how to integrate with it.

These are the different areas of funding:
    Disease and Pest Diagnostic Services
    Irradiation of Equipment and/or Bee Feed
    Comb Exchange Program
    RFID Reading Equipment and Software
    Food Safety and/or Biosecurity Equipment and Software

Producers must also participate in a one day Biosecurity Training Workshop prior to filing an application and complete the Honey Bee Biosecurity Self-Evaluation Checklist as part of the application to access program funding under the Growing Assurance for Farms – Apiculture program
    Microscope

>>Disease and Pest Diagnostic Services
    Irradiation of Equipment and/or Bee Feed
    Comb Exchange Program
    RFID Reading Equipment and Software
    Food Safety and/or Biosecurity Equipment and Software<<

HiveOnTheHill , any ideas on implementing any of that? I also read that forward sent out by Rheal, but I have not spoken to anyone in actually implementing any of it. Comb exchange and irradiation is straight forward, how would we use RFID reading equipment ?

I didn't sign up last time around and haven't decided whether I will this time. I hate signing things that have a millions conditions assigned. A beef farmer I know was concerned about ambiguous clause related to government access on the farm - no one within the program he has talked to has been able to clarify it for him.

I think microscopes are also available which would be nice for nosema and t mite testing.

>>microscopes are also available which would be nice for nosema and t mite testing.<<

That's a good idea. Good microscopes are expensive and now that our local government service is no longer, self assessing is probably going to be more convenient than sending samples away. I have a facility now where I can set a mini lab up now,

The talk for the RFID equipment was directed at tracking individual colonies and information about them. Queen origin, install date, treatments etc etc. It would be good on the experimental/comparison side of things. I barely have time for pen and scrap paper let alone that.
    Rheal had mentioned that he may have connections for microscopes if anyone is interested - maybe save you a few bucks.