Re: Best location to catch swarms?
1. Height - about 10 feet off the ground
2. Shade - at least some shade between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 pm. Preference is for well shaded locations.
3. Box size - roughly the size of one 10 frame deep brood chamber.
4. Opening - 1 inch diameter up to 3 inches diameter. A standard 10 frame hive with 1/2 of the opening closed works well.
5. Ants - None. Bees will skip any location with even a few ants.
6. Attractant - lemon oil or an old brood frame.
There are a couple of other nuances, but if you hit the above, your odds are very good.
DarJones - 46 years, 16 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell