Re: Best location to catch swarms?
1. Height - about 10 feet off the ground
2. Shade - at least some shade between 10:00 a.m. and 3:00 pm. Preference is for well shaded locations.
3. Box size - roughly the size of one 10 frame deep brood chamber.
4. Opening - 1 inch diameter up to 3 inches diameter. A standard 10 frame hive with 1/2 of the opening closed works well.
5. Ants - None. Bees will skip any location with even a few ants.
6. Attractant - lemon oil or an old brood frame.
There are a couple of other nuances, but if you hit the above, your odds are very good.
NW Alabama, 47 years, 22 colonies and growing, sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 14 frame square Dadant broodnest