Default Painting the Edges/Lips of Your Boxes

Hey another newbee question:}

Do you when painting your boxes do you paint the edges/lip where they touch ie sit on top of one another for leave it as is if not painted?

Thanks

S.

Default Re: Painting the Edges/Lips of Your Boxes

Painting the box edge can lead to them sticking together. A useful alternative suggested in earlier threads is to brush glue (Titebond II or III) on the box edge instead of paint. Once dry, the glue is very durable, and won't stick.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Yes I do paint them, and then leave the boxes unstacked in the sun and air to cure for a week before using them.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir

I paint as when the boxes are wet, thats the place that will hold moisture and rot first

I never paint the lips or edges with paint. If you must, use Titebond III.
    Zone 5a @ 4700 ft. High Desert
    Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    A useful alternative suggested in earlier threads is to brush glue (Titebond II or III) on the box edge instead of paint. Once dry, the glue is very durable, and won't stick.
    That's what I do and works like charm!
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

A smear of vaseline on the edges of the hive bodies makes them a lot easier to separate. Probably keep them from sticking if you painted and hadn't time to totally dry.

I'm sure the Vaseline would work....... at least temporarily. Non-painting and applying Titebond lasts forever.............
    http://OxaVap.com Your source for the Varrox OA Vaporizer,
    "One of the highest ranked" by R. Oliver

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    ... A useful alternative suggested in earlier threads is to brush glue (Titebond II or III) on the box edge instead of paint. Once dry, the glue is very durable, and won't stick.
    Thanks for the tip, I'll try it.....I've always painted those surfaces.
    LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

The titebond will probably add some armor to the wood too; will have to try that. I have bees with a passion for propolis and the vaseline thwarts them a bit in that respect.

Paint the edges with melted bees wax before you put them in service works pretty well,each time you swap them out a little light sanding and more melted beeswax.

www.poorvalleybeefarm.com

After the paint dries, I just rub the edges with a block of beeswax.

I've always primed and painted the edges without problem. The only reason that painted edges stick would be from rushing and not allowing the paint to dry thoroughly. If there is any new paint smell on a recently painted surface, the paint isn't fully cured. My new boxes for the spring are in the process of being painted now so that they will be totally dry when it's time to fill them with bees.

I painted mine and left them for a few days but they still were a bit tacky for a few weeks, all good though. Just make sure you give them a few days before you put them together or they will really stick together
    Bee Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by RayMarler View Post
    Yes I do paint them, and then leave the boxes unstacked in the sun and air to cure for a week before using them.
    A little variation on this amswer. We go to the bank and get $50 worth of pennies every time a super painting party is about to arrive. They work great for "no stick em" shims between the boxes when we stack them for the spray gun. The pricing on them is way cheaper than buying washers, If they get lost in the shuffle I don't really care as they are worth less than the labor to pick them up. A good detective with a metal detector would be able to easily find all my favorite super painting locations as the pennies seem to re appear on random occasions. Anybody wanting a great deal on half painted pennies can PM me. We use them only once as after that they "stick" and peel paint from the boxes and I am about to purchase $20 worth of paint remover to clean up an equivalent value of pennies.

I use plastic tile spacers as shims between boxes to keep them from sticking together. Also, I've learned that the satin finish oops paints take much longer to fully dry, than a paint with a flat finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    A little variation on this amswer. We go to the bank and get $50 worth of pennies every time a super painting party is about to arrive. They work great for "no stick em" shims between the boxes when we stack them for the spray gun. The pricing on them is way cheaper than buying washers, If they get lost in the shuffle I don't really care as they are worth less than the labor to pick them up. A good detective with a metal detector would be able to easily find all my favorite super painting locations as the pennies seem to re appear on random occasions. Anybody wanting a great deal on half painted pennies can PM me. We use them only once as after that they "stick" and peel paint from the boxes and I am about to purchase $20 worth of paint remover to clean up an equivalent value of pennies.
    Wow, that's great! Somewhat creative.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    We go to the bank and get $50 worth of pennies every time a super painting party is about to arrive. They work great for "no stick em" shims between the boxes when we stack them for the spray gun.
    That is a great idea, thanks for sharing. I use a roller to paint my stacked boxes and sometimes they are difficult to get apart after painting. I'm going to try the penny shims next time. Got a gallon jar full of pennies, now I'll put them to good use.
    To everything there is a season....

Well, I painted a couple stacks of boxes today (60+ degrees, nice day for painting). The penny shims probably work great when using a spray gun, but not so well with a brush and roller. Just a light amount of pressure applied with the brush or roller and the boxes start sliding. It was worth a shot anyway. I'll go back to breaking the seal with a utility knife.
    To everything there is a season....

We spray 2 coats (primer and finish) with the slow and tedious hand dab filling of all the staple holes after each course . Unless you had gold bricks on the stacks the hand roller pressure is going to move them as you experienced. Plastic shims work even better than the pennies IMO but the availability and expense made us roll over to the pennies a while back. I personally prefer the old copper ones as they have a higher mass than the cruddy new zinc ones. Old Abes lay and stay better than new Abes.