Default The Angry Bee Project

This video is approximately 5 minutes after closing up the hive. i did use smoke but these bees are really angry and stay with me. one got inside the veil but didn't sting me.are they more protective if the queen is dead? i saw very little brood but a lot of honey and nectar. they are bring in plenty of pollen and the frames are noticeable heavier. my wife did get a few pictures before they exploded but then she split and shot threw the screen. they are too fuzzy unfortunately to tell very much.
    http://youtu.be/yjl_x4bAwkc

Gene

Default Re: The Angry Bee Project

Yeah, they're mad. Are they being robbed? Mine get short tempered when under attack. I've heard that cologne or after shave will incite the bees to attack.

Why did you close the hive? Why in the middle of the day? Part of the problem is they can't get back inside. What time of day was that?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

Gene,
    You need to give us some details as to what is going on. Did you smoke the hive where the bees give off their pheromones? Why is the entrance closed? What procedure were you conducting? Yes they are angry because they can't get in or out, or protect their home or the Queen, if there is one. No Queen and they are really anxious and get reactive quickly. All seems normal to me. So what's going on in the video? Is this a new endeavor for you? Maybe we can help you figure it out.
    Cheers!
    "Some of it's Magic, and Some if it's Tragic!" Jimmy Buffet

Sometimes the bees in your area are hot. Especially F1 hybrids of EHB (likely Apis mellifera ligustica) with the locals (which are probably Apis mellifera Iberica). If there are not other extenuating circumstances, you may need to requeen.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF

They sure are agitated!

Depending on what you did before the video, you might want to figure out if they are too hot for you. Life is too short to deal with an unpleasant or unmanageable hive, especially if it is in your backyard. If those were in my backyard and they were like that on a daily basis, I would requeen.

You don't have good smoke and don't put it down around the entrance and into the hive, or so it seems to me. If I fail to have good smoke and work my hives they look like yours EVERY TIME. Just bees being bees. I try to smoke then wait several minutes before starting work. When I take the top off I add a little smoke and observe their attitude through the inner cover hole or screen. Around my bees you walk on egg shells. Also, I do not see any sunshine, that makes a BIG difference. I set my smoker down near the hive entrance and the smoke curls up into the hive all the time I am working, that whiff of smoke is good in keeping them off my hide. Now, you really need to find that queen or some eggs, otherwise you have nothing.
    Julysun elevation 23 feet. 4 Hives, 2 years.

That's a robbing screen on there. They do look mad, glad they aren't mine.

If t hey have always been that bad I think I'd seriously look into replacing the queen.

I wish my dark hive was that calm....

Gene...I'd love to see any of the pictures that can be viewed clearly. There are so many reasons they can be pissy...and trust me, those really aren't being horrible. I've done some removals that I could barely see out my veil, and I have done removals that they purred like kittens. It could be weather (a front coming in, etc), they could be queenless, their entrance may be too difficult to enter, etc, etc...it goes on and on. All these little rainy spells shut down the flow, too, so the flow has been spotty. That alone can get them pissy. Without getting into the hive, or at least seeing some pics, there is no way to know. You say there is 'very little brood'. Elaborate, please. Just a few capped brood only? Any larvae, or eggs?? I saw the prior videos around the 7th, which I still think was a robbing event. It is possible the Queen was killed then. Mating at this time of year down here is a crap shoot, so if they made a new queen, she may not have made it back. I'd like to help, but more info needed.
    Last edited by Bees In Miami; 12-27-2013 at 04:57 PM.

I attempted a removal of a 6 year old colony out of a shed last weekend and they weren't that bad even after I had the hammer on the sheet metal.

My hive is also one brood box, but rarely has that sort of activity around the front. If they do all come out for whatever reason I leave them, I only go out in full sun too, I have done an inspection with overcast conditions and they were more pissy. From my limited knowledge I would say they are upset about something. Queenless maybe or pests in the hive?
    Bee Happy!

I wasn't wearing cologne or after shave and they aren't getting robbed. Its around 11 am on a nice day and the hive is closed because its AFTER an inspection. The entrance isn't blocked thats a robbing screen i installed because the bees where dying and i wanted to rule out robbing. the smoke is dying out because it already been over 20 minutes and the fuel is gone. they are not usually this bad that's why i was wondering if the queen dies do they get more aggressive. there are no queen cells on any of the frames. every frame has honey and nectar and some are completely full since 2 weeks ago but only one frame had capped brood. i didn't see any eggs but i usually don't until i look at the pictures later. my wife is to nervous to get decent pictures. ill have to make a hole in the screen for her to shoot. even in a suit she won't go outside. they are bringing in lots of pollen and there is a constant flow of bees but there doesn't appear to be any more bees then the last inspection.

gene

Here are the pictures we got this last time some are ok. i do think i see some rice although some look like 2 in one so that means a laying worker ?
    http://s230.photobucket.com/user/Gen...d432d.jpg.html

Here's a video of a really mean hive I had last spring:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oxwy...LDKOxXdC1-RFtw

The bees were so mean that we couldn't go into our back yard without getting bombed, so I moved it to a friend's ranch and requeened. The video is from the move - they're certainly irritated from being moved but not much more than they were normally. Now it's one of my best hives, just checked on it yesterday and it's full of healthy bees.

They can be a little testy this time of year anyway. If they are still pissy once a nectar flow starts I would just requeen them especially in South Fl. Not sure how your weather is today but, its cool and rainy here in North Fl. today. The weather can influence their mood quite a bit.