Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 151
  1. #41
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,092

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I think that most folks can understand the resistance genetics issue. You can see phenotypes, like hygienic bees, but you can't find the genes.
    Finding evidence for a different type of resistance, of the RNAi kind, seems like an achievable goal to me.

    It's pretty simple, you have to have actual proof that you have resistant bees, or no one will risk their operation without verifiable evidence.

    As for doing something like feeding LAB fermented syrup and milk to bees, that's more of a foodie approach to science that's very accessible to anyone.
    What?
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Morro Bay, California, USA
    Posts
    839

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    WLC == The secret life of Walter Mitty

    The Walter Mitty syndrome is rampant on the "nobody-knows-you're-a-dog" interwebs.

    Turns out a dog-of-a-movie with Ben Stiller starring as the vivid daydreamer is about to be dumped on the X-mas audience. Wonderfully, WLC can now make the addition of "movie promoter and key PR theoretician" to his rich and varied resume.

    In the short time I have bothered to post on this forum, WLC has been a "police detective" in witness protection because international killers were after him, the honest cop who sent his bent boss to jail, a international high-financier working in exotic European capitals, and now a renowned scientist briefly stopping by the forums on his way to picking up his Nobel.

    Victor-ry to the imagination. There is an element of truth (oxygen) to each wild fantasy, but the prosiac, everyday reality is perhaps a pensioner mixing up yogurt to control his own flatulence.

  3. #43
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Maybe your biased approach is part of the problem ...
    ... "social activist" .... sounds a lot like an "instigator" ... doesn't it ...
    I've served my own community on the issues of housing, seniors, and poverty when it mattered most.

    That's why I'm 'the Honorable WLC'.

    What have I 'instigated' lately?

    When working with a group installing green roofs on their commercial properties, a manager noticed a lot of Honeybees were foraging on the sedum.

    I tried to put them in contact with a well known local beekeeper, however, they went with a beekeeper from the 'Grange'.

    So, now there are hives on the green roof of a LEED Platinum skyscraper.

    I have seen their bees foraging in Bryant Park this past summer.

    So, like minded groups of people can 'instigate' sustainable change.

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Manitoba Canada
    Posts
    5,931

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    I know from friends who don't Post on beesource that there are many who .
    I think it's easier for people to relate to a conversation when they are reading posts on a forum from people they know.
    And its interesting because I'm starting to "know" beekeepers who post here on beesource as the conversation continues. This forum is the only forum I visit and basically the only time I use the internet aside from email, my blog and Facebook. To me beesource is like heading down to the " beesource " coffee shop, where it is the only place I can submerge into a beekeeping conversation on a daily basis . Love it!

    But this smart phone is turning this visit into a bit of an addiction!!

  5. #45
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Lee County, Illinois
    Posts
    113

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by sqkcrk View Post
    Not even all of the members are Posting, are they?
    Some members post none stop. ^^^ lol
    Last edited by Heintz88; 12-21-2013 at 10:10 AM.

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Pleasant Shade, TN
    Posts
    444

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    Do more hives make one an expert on current issues? Not really.

    I've discussed many scientific findings relevant to beekeeping with the same members.

    The result is generally the same every time.
    I never said that the 40+ year beekeeper was an expert. I never used the word expert in my reply, period. I simply said they have qualification to speak and that they had more say. There is no such thing as "expert". The term is totally subjective to man's understanding, which is proving smaller and smaller every time a new discovery is made. The term "expert" exhibits more folly than expertise. It's a humble and staggering truth. There is nothing wrong with the genetics work that you do. As a matter of fact, I do find it interesting. However, I do not find the way you communicate your findings as interesting. Remember, this is a blog, not a symposium. Communicate on the audience's level in a respectable way, and they will more than likely grasp what you say and run with it. Put yourself and what knowledge you have on a pedestal, they will resist on more levels than you can think of, and you will never have their respect.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

  7. #47
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    So, like minded groups of people can 'instigate' sustainable change.
    Sounds all very hunky-dory

    So why were you using the term "instigator" to slam Oldtimer?


    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    West Bath, Maine, United States
    Posts
    1,137

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Beesource needs a new Forum: Pig wrestling, because?
    4 yrs, Peak 14, back to zip, T lite; godfather to brother's 3.

  9. #49
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    TR:

    I don't think that the problem is on my side of the debate.

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Sounds all very hunky-dory
    So why were you using the term "instigator" to slam Oldtimer?
    I was being polite.

  11. #51
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    Herrick, SD USA
    Posts
    4,372

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Egad! Sorry my ill fated attempt at humor has led to a discussion of WLC's credentials and social activities. Let's stick to the theme of user participation before even more get scared away.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

  12. #52
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    That's why I'm 'the Honorable WLC'.
    I'm sure your parents must be very proud of your achievements ....

    'the Honorable Wildlife Conservation' ... "Wildlife" is your first name? I suspect that made for some ... mmm ... interesting moments in the schoolyard ...
    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    'WLC' stands for wildlife conservation.

    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  13. #53
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    Egad! Sorry my ill fated attempt at humor has led to a discussion of WLC's credentials and social activities. Let's stick to the theme of user participation before even more get scared away.
    Jim:

    A lot of the participants here want change when it comes to beekeeping and other related current issues.

    I'm one of those people. I have used just a handful of hives to have a positive impact, and I'm not easily dissuaded, as you've no doubt discovered.

    We all want to see positive change when it comes to beekeeping.

    Kindly refrain from telling me that my glass is 1/2 empty.

  14. #54
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York City, NY
    Posts
    4,317

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    I'm sure your parents must be very proud of your achievements ....
    'the Honorable Wildlife Conservation' ... "Wildlife" is your first name? I suspect that made for some ... mmm ... interesting moments in the schoolyard ...
    I don't do it for money (it costs me money in fact) or 'glory' (because there is none). I do it because it's the right thing to do.

    Perhaps you should stop the heckling. I don't see the point to it.

  15. #55
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Pell City,Alabama,USA
    Posts
    288

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by David LaFerney View Post
    Now there's how you get people to really want to participate. Good job.

  16. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    Cookeville, TN, USA
    Posts
    4,075

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    We all want to see positive change...
    Sure we do. The guy pacing around the public square loudly preaching to the wind may have the same ideas as a great leader - but if everyone percieves him as a crackpot he probably won't have much impact.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

  17. #57
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,092

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by JWChesnut View Post
    WLC == The secret life of Walter Mitty

    The Walter Mitty syndrome is rampant on the "nobody-knows-you're-a-dog" interwebs.

    Turns out a dog-of-a-movie with Ben Stiller starring as the vivid daydreamer is about to be dumped on the X-mas audience. Wonderfully, WLC can now make the addition of "movie promoter and key PR theoretician" to his rich and varied resume.

    In the short time I have bothered to post on this forum, WLC has been a "police detective" in witness protection because international killers were after him, the honest cop who sent his bent boss to jail, a international high-financier working in exotic European capitals, and now a renowned scientist briefly stopping by the forums on his way to picking up his Nobel.

    Victor-ry to the imagination. There is an element of truth (oxygen) to each wild fantasy, but the prosiac, everyday reality is perhaps a pensioner mixing up yogurt to control his own flatulence.
    JW, that's a Chestnut.

    All of WLC's good work must be for altruistic reasons since he goes by an alias screen name is maintain anonymity.
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  18. #58
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Brasher Falls, NY, USA
    Posts
    27,092

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by Heintz88 View Post
    Some members post none stop. ^^^ lol
    Yer welcome. lol
    Mark Berninghausen #youmatter

  19. #59
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Rader, Greene County, Tennessee, USA
    Posts
    6,116

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I don't see the point to it.
    Well, here's a clue ....
    Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I've done more good, out of altruism, than you have.







    ... who can spell nar·cis·sism .....
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

  20. #60
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Cleveland, OH, USA
    Posts
    475

    Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

    I cannot imagine why all the guests aren't tripping over themselves to sign up now.
    Beeless since 2012; coming back in 2014. Suffering from apicultural withdrawal!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Ads