Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Default Re: To the 1,000 plus guests.

When I started beekeeping and found this a great place to come to learn and ask questions I got hooked. This format suits interrupters, like myself, who have always had a hard time in class keeping their mouths shut when a point in a lecture grabs their attention. I suspect that there are more here like me. If we were all in a real room and could hear each other it would be chaos.
    Because beekeeping engages me I find I retain a lot of what I have learned here on Beesource and the real world experiences of beekeepers are of great interest to me.
    Best of all - you don't have to raise your hand on Beesource.

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel Y View Post
    Anyone want to make a prediction of when the forum hits 1,000,000 posts?
    January 2nd.
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Hard to believe that there are still actually 1000 plus beekeepers finding out how hard it is to post on Beesource with their Commodore 64s.
    Actually, it's those members from other discussion groups secretly eavesdropping!
    Regards, Barry

I'm amazed how much feedback I get from my beesource discussions from beekeepers around here that don't participate in this forum.

Ya lost me .Have no clue what ya"ll are talking about and thats OK
    Im really not that serious

Go to the main forum page and scroll down to the box entitled "what's going on". It lists the current active users broken down into members and guests. Keep in mind, though that many of the guests may well be members viewing but not currently logged in.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Well if it wasn't for Rader, I wouldn't either but I figured it out from his link.

Some people read, some people wright, some people do and some people may do more than one thing. We do what we feel comfortable doing.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Newbees this really is a great educational resource. I have learned quite a bit of my bee keeping knowledge from the computer. I had never saw the inside of a bee hive until I bought my first hive. I was a little nervous but, felt pretty confident I knew what to expect from reading here and watching youtube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
    Real biologists have qualifications.
    You mean besides my degrees and my biotech company accounts?

I've actually sequenced nuclear DNA and compared it to the Honeybee Genome sequence that was produced from BeeWeaver queens.

You really do need qualifications to do molecular work of that type.

I'm glad that I did finally get some BeeWeavers by the way. They're doing better than my other colonies have in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by WLC View Post
    I've actually sequenced nuclear DNA and compared it to the Honeybee Genome sequence that was produced from BeeWeaver queens.

Are you raising better queens as a result of of the DNA sequencing you performed?

ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I've done more good, out of altruism, than you have.
    As a biologist, you will perhaps understand when I qualify the above. You "think" you have done good. You "state" the motive was altruism. You have not measured your level of "good" done to make an actual statement of comparison.

Now disassemble my statement above. Note repeated use of "you". Most people consider this word to be almost an accusation and will interpret my few sentences as a kind of verbal attack. That is not the way it is meant, nor intended. I am just using it to illustrate a problem we have when communicating via posts on a forum. Be careful of reading meaning into posts, mistakes happen quite often.

On the practical side, Jim L has years of beekeeping experience. He also has a burr under his saddle when it comes to treatment free beekeeping. I suspect he would like to get there, but can't quite bring himself to make the plunge.

On your side, you ask questions any beginner should ask. Sometimes that is a very good thing because those of us who have kept bees 40 years no longer see things from that "new" perspective.

Be careful of reaching conclusions, there are still lots of lessons your bees will teach in a stinging way.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Quote Originally Posted by Rader Sidetrack View Post
    Are you raising better queens as a result of of the DNA sequencing you performed?
    I was looking for transposable resistance genes. When I get some time, I'll take a look at the BeeWeavers.

If I do find SINE resistance elements, like for resistance to DWV, then you could, theoretically, produce better queens.

It is interesting as to how few are logged in and posting, but then again, being apprehensive may have weight to it.
    As far as experience goes, there is huge wealth of it here. Many people have decades of experience, others do not. Sometimes though, a "first year beekeeper" does not necessarily mean that they are new to bees. It could mean that they have been around bees their whole life, but just now got to the point where they could care for THEIR OWN hives. Let's not be hasty to judge experience simply by someone's profile info. I realize that there are some on here that have forgotten more than I will probably ever know. I would love that to not be true, but there will always be someone with a better idea. No matter who you are. Older keepers will theoretically be wiser, and younger keepers will theoretically be not as wise. There are exceptions to the rules in everything every so often though.
    As for qualifications, they can hold weight in academia. I know, because I have certain qualifications in my field of study, but I do not tout them here on a forum where hobbyists, sideliners, and people who are just simply interested in beekeeping gather. In my humble opinion, a multiple-generation beekeeper who runs THOUSANDS of hives, and has done so for 40+ years has more say on just about any topic on the whole of Beesource than anyone else. Their experience IS their qualification.I for one will never tout who I am or what I do to convince someone else that they are "wrong". Science is a tool, not to prove, but to continually learn. It's important to remember that, and to remember that we ALL enjoy beekeeping, even when we voice a different opinion on a given subject. Otherwise, we wouldn't have a Beesource account. I know I wouldn't. If you think you have to constantly defend yourself, one day you will wake up and realize that there was never any fighting going on in the first place. I will digress now.
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Do more hives make one an expert on current issues? Not really.

I've discussed many scientific findings relevant to beekeeping with the same members.

The result is generally the same every time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I'm amazed how much feedback I get from my beesource discussions from beekeepers around here that don't participate in this forum.
    I know from friends who don't Post on beesource that there are many who read beesource.

You know who you are. Stop following me!! I don't know where I am going.

Some people like to look into beesource to see what crazy thing I am saying today. Others? I don't know why they read what I write. Maybe they are actually reading Threads they are interested in and know who I am outside of beesource.

Have you ever been in a room of a hundred people and noticed that only a small few will willingly ask questions or contribute to discussion? Probably the same thing here.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

You mean besides my degrees and my biotech company accounts?

You really do need qualifications to do molecular work of that type.

I'm glad that I did finally get some BeeWeavers by the way. They're doing better than my other colonies have in the past.
    I saw this Post, and the Post that inspired it, and "Let's Get Physical" by Olivia Newton-John jumped into my head.

Some comments should be PMed and not Posted. (hmmm, i'll have to remember that myself)

Do more hives make one an expert on current issues? Not really.

I've discussed many scientific findings relevant to beekeeping with the same members.

Some times some things are far beyond my ability to understand or even think about caring about. Which, for me, makes much of what you write about like clouds passing by. Or stars out of reach. Nice to look at, but unless those clouds produce rain when it is needed, that about all they are. And they often block out the Sun.

Maybe your biased approach is part of the problem ...
    I'm both scientist and social activist (and more).

... "social activist" .... sounds a lot like an "instigator" ... doesn't it ...
    ultracrepidarian >> noting or pertaining to a person who criticizes, judges, or gives advice outside of his expertise

I think that most folks can understand the resistance genetics issue. You can see phenotypes, like hygienic bees, but you can't find the genes.
    Finding evidence for a different type of resistance, of the RNAi kind, seems like an achievable goal to me.

It's pretty simple, you have to have actual proof that you have resistant bees, or no one will risk their operation without verifiable evidence.

As for doing something like feeding LAB fermented syrup and milk to bees, that's more of a foodie approach to science that's very accessible to anyone.

Gee, isn't that strange.

What is it that is said about doing the same thing over and over expecting different results? It isn't science. That's for sure.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast