Default Ignorant Question

Does anyone know if perhaps some of the traits that make bees aggressive also make them more prone to exhibit VSH behavior?

Tried to find stuff on the net, but struck out. But I have read multiple posts where some of the bees that are supposed to exhibit beneficial behavior are being reported as aggressive quite a bit. Could those traits be linked or is it just some bees are mean?
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

Default Re: Ignorant Question

Well here's my ignorant answer:
    Of all of the traits that I select for, mite resistance falls dead last.
    Wintering, honey production, vigor, traits that make up a good all around working bee; thats what I'm interested in.
    As for dealing with mites, I am glad to take care of that.
    Varroa mites are the easiest pest or disease that we have to deal with yet cause the highest losses.
    Why is that? Haven't we had enough years of experience of dealing with this pest? We should all be experts.
    Some of us are.
    Many beekeepers are worried that SO MUCH attention is being focused on mite resistance, that we are losing the really important traits that beekeepers have been wanting and selcting for every since bees first made their way to our country.
    So my answer to your question is, if I find overly agressive bees for any reason the queen gets pinched.
    HEY!! Right over there, is a booming hive, boiling with bees that are a joy to work with!! I'll take my next graft off of that'n!
    Meanwhile as I write this I am sending bees to almonds with an overall loss from the peak in 2013 of 7%
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

not sure if its true, but I do know that the Africianized bees are said to be more resistant which mite lead one to that conclusion

I agree with Harry V.. VHS is nice to have and our bees have it, but we don't count just on that. Fogging or Apiguard and nothing to toxic for mites.
    A strong hive is a strong hive and that to me is part of keeping bees (beekeeping)

Another thought on the Africanized bees, is it that they are more mite res or the areas they are in? Not saying they are or they are not.
    Honey Hive Farms "Saving the world one bee at a time"
    www.HoneyHiveFarms.com

My answer is simple. NO.

I started breeding varroa tolerant bees using one particularly hot queen that was highly hygienic. I selected from her offspring over the last 8 years until I now have highly hygienic bees that do not sting much more than an average Carniolan colony. If my bees can thrive without treatments and be highly manageable, then you can find similar genetics. In other words, hygienic traits are not correlated with stinging traits.
    DarJones - 44 years, 10 colonies (max 40), sideliner, treatment free since 2005, 11 frame broodnest, small cell

Thanks gentlemen, I do appreciate the advise from people with the depth of experience that ya'll have. I know of a really aggressive hive I was thinking of raiding for eggs/brood this spring to see if a queen from them might be something to try to introduce. Dropping that idea.

Once again, many thanks
    Started 9/13, building slowly, now @ 7 Lang hives + 5 nucs, and treatment style not decided yet

>Does anyone know

Yes.>Does anyone know

Yes.

> if perhaps some of the traits that make bees aggressive also make them more prone to exhibit VSH behavior?

According to all the experts they are not. According to my experience they are not. Aggressiveness is a different trait. Africanized bees are more resistant because of a shorter cycle which is because of smaller cells which is because people are not forcing them onto larger cells. All the research I've seen on AHB shows they are not very hygienic at all.

> if perhaps some of the traits that make bees aggressive also make them more prone to exhibit VSH behavior?

According to all the experts they are not. According to my experience they are not. Agressiveness is a different trait. Africanized bees are more resistant because of a shorter cycle which is because of smaller cells which is because peopel are not forcing them onto larger cells. All the research I've seen on AHB shows they are not very hygientic at all.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF