Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Swarm Trap: how empty should it be?

We have a lot of wax moths here as well. I was planning to spray the frames and comb with BT a., would that stop them adequately?

OdFrank, what is the source of the wine boxes?

LeeB
    I try to learn from my mistakes, and from yours when you give me a heads up :)

Just my 2 cents. I had an excellent year this year catching swarms with my bait traps. I caught 24 swarms with my traps. When I first began doing the traps I put a dark comb frame on each side and left the middle open with no frames at all. The first couple I caught made me go back too all my others and fill them with frames. The first few had comb attached to the top so I had to cut it and transfer it to a frame to be able to put it in a hive. After that experience, I place a frame of dark comb on each side and fill the middle with old empty frames. I do how ever put a small starter strip about 1.5 inches thick into each frame and also put wire in the empty frames. I have found this gives them a little bit of foundation to work off of and also once they build the comb to the wires, it gives the comb strength. They will usually build the comb right through the wires. Like someone else stated opinions or opinions, everyone has their own. What works for me may be totally off from what someone else does. My trap set up is a combination of what I researched and my thinking. My traps don't copy anyone's so get out and just see what works for you. Good Luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Lburou View Post
    OdFrank, what is the source of the wine boxes?
    There is a wine distributor across the bay that fills a 15cy. debris box every two weeks with wood wine boxes. Try liquor stores that sell European wine,

Quote Originally Posted by SS1 View Post
    I use 8 frame boxes and I fill them with foundation-less frames that are empty.. Wax moths WILL destroy any drawn comb within about two weeks if it isnt guarded by bees in this area.
    Do you use bare foundation-less frames or do you have wax on the top strip?

- I dont have any comb laying around, so I will have to try the methods with either was foundation or foundation-less. Anyone else have great success without comb?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12