Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Picture posting guidelines

As someone who is a bit apprehensive about posting pictures for fear of repercussions about image/file size, I would like to make a couple of observations and perhaps a suggestion. While I enjoy seeing posted pictures, they can, in my opinion, become distracting and somewhat problematic for viewing a particular thread. I am often left wondering how different this forum might be if everyone began posting a lot of pictures. I, for one, appreciate the "thumbnails" which are easily clicked on for enlargement for those that so choose. I dont get the concern about posting lengthy quotes when there seems to be no apparent guidelines or limits on pictures. Am I missing something?
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Default Re: Picture posting guidelines

There is a post from Barry titled "Image Posting Rules" in the Rules and Announcements forum:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Posting-Rules

... repercussions?
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...-Posting-Rules

Jim, I understand your concerns. I was not quick to allow image posting on the forums for similar reasons. I certainly get frustrated over various elements of vBulletin that are lacking in my opinion. Image handling is one of them.

There are two ways images can be used on the forum, as attachments or as links. As the admin, I have software control over attachments, as the image files are uploaded to the Beesource server and controlled within the program. Images that are linked fall outside of my controls for the most part.

Some members get frustrated about using the attachment option because I have parameters set as to size, resolution and file type. I do this for the very reason you mention above about having these large images within the post. It seems a lot of members don't know how to manage image files to comply. All attachments get thumbnail images so they don't load automatically. Nice feature.

Linked images end up being whatever size they are with no ability to resize them to fit nicely into a post. If the user has no knowledge of photo editing or is to lazy or doesn't care about size, we get images that are overkill and distracting.

I setup the post above to give guidelines for image posting. Some follow it, others don't. I haven't stayed on top of it due to other tasks requiring most of my time. I could restrict linked images and only allow attached images so I have control over the size and presentation. If members favor this, I would do it. We used to delete a lot of posts with over sized images. Didn't seem to change habits of members.

A hard line to figure out. I prefer not to be overly restrictive in this, but because all members aren't always responsible with their images, some restriction is certainly required. I'm open to feedback on this and to readdress it.
    Regards, Barry

Also, what I can do is restrict outside images from loading within a post and only allow a hyperlink so one would have to click on the link and go to the site where the image is hosted to view it. Might be time to do that.

As an example, here is an image that is not hosted on Beesource, but is linked from another site and loads within the post:

http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...58#post1031558

This same post would look like this if I restricted it just to displaying links:

Re: Making a Miller Style Top Feeder - Sealant Ideas

This is basically what I plan on making. Just straight cuts and I only have to rip about a 1/4" off a couple 1 x 4's. I am going to put some hardware cloth on the bottom gap so the bees can get through it when the syrup is low.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...op-feeder1.jpg
    Regards, Barry

Does there seem to be a large number of picture posts that are oversized? I try to edit each of mine so that they are 640x480 max. To my thinking that allows pretty good resolution without consuming excessive bandwidth. The photos that are attached thumbnails...even when expanded, often lack enough resolution to make them meaningful, in my opinion.

Jim...how do you mean distracting or problematic? Could you direct me to a thread where you felt either was the case? About the only time I see a load of pics in a single post are Lauri's and those are only problematic for me because I'm embarrassed by how good all her stuff looks compared to mine.
    Last edited by beemandan; 12-17-2013 at 09:29 AM.
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

The photos that are attached thumbnails...even when expanded, often lack enough resolution to make them meaningful, in my opinion.
    Dan, when expanded, photos can be 640X480 at 72 dpi. It's up to the poster as to whether or not they want to maximize the image size. I think the 640X480 is plenty large to give good details, as you say. It's probably more an issue of the poster not knowing how to do this so they err on the smaller size to make sure it will be accepted.
    Regards, Barry

Dan: Not trying to single anyone out or start any sort of controversy. Agreed, Lauri's pictures are both beautiful and informative. I just find any threads with a lot of pictures take a somewhat longer period of time to load, for example, on an ipad with a cellular data plan, as the posts continue to hop around on the screen while you are reading. I find myself wondering if this will become an issue in the future as pictures become increasingly commonplace. Personally, the only way I have had any success with directly posting pictures is by copying and pasting within the reply box, the resulting image appears gigantic and the process does not give me any option to adjust image size so I choose not to do it.
    Repercussions? Yes. Perhaps a poor choice of words. I was thinking in terms of the difficulties I might impose on others reading the thread......that and Barry's big eraser.
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney

Overly large pictures can be distracting when your desire is to read the posts and have these large pictures coming up. I am as guilty as any for posting large pictures, these pictures also are problematic to those who are on dial-up systems like I have. sometimes when the internet speed is slower than usual I will not look at posts that I know have a lot of these pictures on them.

It would be nice to have limitations such as "thumbnail" and "displayed links only" but it would be extremely helpful to have a detailed explanation as to how to go about doing this. Some of us such as myself are a bit ignorant of how to go about doing this correctly.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by jim lyon View Post
    I just find any threads with a lot of pictures take a somewhat longer period of time to load, for example, on an ipad with a cellular data plan, as the posts continue to hop around on the screen while you are reading.
    Good point, Jim. I'm sure there are a lot of iPad users, and growing. A good argument for allowing the user more control over images. You do have the option to restrict image loading in threads within your User Settings. General Settings > Thread Display Options > Visible Post Elements > Show Images (or not). But then you don't even have the option to click a link if you wanted to see a particular image.
    Regards, Barry

Problems I've noticed with images:

Some posters are unfamiliar with how to include images, so are unable to do so. Other times posts would benefit from images, but none are used. "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I thought that if individual members were bandwidth challenged, they could set their preferences to not display images in posts. Even browsers can be set to work that way. Web browsers can be set to display text only, for those with bandwidth limitations.

Why force everyone to be limited by those with bandwidth limitations. Why not, rather, let the bandwidth challenged; for instance, adjust their own, browser setting, to control their image viewing? It doesn't need to be a, one size fits all, internet experience.

Just because some, who are bandwidth challenged, or are using various portable devices, are often also unfamiliar with browser settings, as well as, how to include images in posts, should not detract from everyone else's internet experience.
    48 years - 50 hives - TF
    Joseph Clemens -- Website Under Constructioni

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post
    Problems I've noticed with images:

Some posters are unfamiliar with how to include images, so are unable to do so. Other times posts would benefit from images, but none are used. "A picture is worth a thousand words."

I thought that if individual members were bandwidth challenged, they could set their preferences to not display images in posts. Even browsers can be set to work that way. Web browsers can be set to display text only, for those with bandwidth limitations.

Why force everyone to be limited by those with bandwidth limitations. Why not, rather, let the bandwidth challenged; for instance, adjust their own, browser setting, to control their image viewing? It doesn't need to be a, one size fits all, internet experience.

Just because some, who are bandwidth challenged, are often also unfamiliar with browser settings, as well as, how to include images in posts, should not detract from everyone else's internet experience.
    Good points all, Joe. I hadnt thought about the possibility of setting the browser to exclude images....but then, of course, you are left wondering what you are missing.
    Someone needs to help me out here, as I didnt quite grasp Barry's initial reply. If images were only in thumbnail format wouldnt that solve the bandwidth issue (or am I just showing my ignorance here?). You would have an image easily loaded and the reader could make the decision as to whether or not they wish to expand it for more detailed viewing.

Quote Originally Posted by Joseph Clemens View Post

This would certainly be a good compromise.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

If images were only in thumbnail format wouldnt that solve the bandwidth issue (or am I just showing my ignorance here?). You would have an image easily loaded and the reader could make the decision as to whether or not they wish to expand it for more detailed viewing.
    Actually these thumbnail images are the way of posting pictures that I myself would prefer, a person could look at the thumbnail and decide whether you want to enlarge it.
    Bill...in Southeast Ohio

If images were only in thumbnail format wouldnt that solve the bandwidth issue (or am I just showing my ignorance here?). You would have an image easily loaded and the reader could make the decision as to whether or not they wish to expand it for more detailed viewing.
    The only way to have thumbnail images is for members to use the 'attachment' option. What happens then is, the file is uploaded to the Beesource server and the software manages it from there, creating the thumbnail and linking it to the full file size when clicked. This can't be done for images hosted elsewhere. So for this to work on all images, I'd have to restrict image loading from outside sources. A link to those images could still be posted.

I could "dumb it down" and remove the size restrictions on attachments so basically any image file would upload. That of course starts to use up server space and I'd probably have to increase my hosting plan sooner than later. I was hoping not to get into image hosting, but perhaps that is the best solution.
    Regards, Barry

Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but I like the large pics.
    If someone gets carried away, I'm sure we can talk to them about that.
    My $0.02
    I have exactly ONE hive more than you.
    That makes my opinion beyond question.

Personally i much prefer the remotely hosted images to thumbnails, but they all add a great deal to the experience. It would be a shame for them to be greatly restricted.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Quote Originally Posted by HarryVanderpool View Post
    Sorry to be a nay-sayer, but I like the large pics.
    I agree, I find it more frustrating to stare at a tiny pic than an over large one.

The only problem (other than those with bandwidth limitations) I see with the large images is sometimes the text is hard to pick out with several large images.
    Dan Hayden 4 Years. 9 hives. Tx Free. USDA Zone 5b.

I really like the large pictures as well. I think the old saying "a picture is worth a thousand words" really applies to beekeeping pictures. Especially trying to help explain something to a new beek that they have never seen before.

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Also, what I can do is restrict outside images from loading within a post and only allow a hyperlink so one would have to click on the link and go to the site where the image is hosted to view it.
    I like the hyper link idea and use Dropbox to store my pics. It gives you 2gb of free cloud storage. The links are all https: so they are encoded and safe to share. This may be an option for those who don't want to jump through the hoops of a photo bucket or picassa account. The link to Dropbox is in my signature below. You may be surprised at how much you will use drop box for so much more than sharing photos.
    A Bank is a place where they lend you an umbrella in fair weather and ask for it back when it rains.- Robert Frost

Personally I perfer alot of full size pictures. I wish more members posted them. Perhaps a link or thumbnail would be better for some, but I still like the full size pics. Of course I have a good computer with a large high res screen and good internet so downloading is a snap and viewing is effortless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast