Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: Making a Miller Style Top Feeder - Sealant Ideas

I made three of the Miller type feeders and used Camcote to keep them from leaking so far no leaks.
    http://www.brushymountainbeefarm.com...15-Camcote.jpg
    With this type of feeder there is no way for the bees to drown.

Are y'all coating the inside with a marine or other type of varnish?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Have some and they work well. Sealed any wood to wood with a bead of silicone as I assembled. Know you said you had no wax, but they work best when bottom and sides of tank and baffle boards are sealed with wax. Otherwise, there will be some black mold growing.

But they are an extra piece of equipment and diffcult to take off if they have any amount of liquid in them as some spilling. Going to try some 1 gallon plastic pails over the inner cover hole.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

When you assemble the feeder use Gorilla glue. It expands as it cures filling any gaps. I than coat with marine spar varnish. Have one that is four years old and no leaks.

I also run floats. I originally made them out of one eighth pine but had drowning issues as well. I than made some from 1/4" plywood and have not had any issues with these.
    Instead of slots as someone had mentioned here I drill about twelve tapered holes in each float.

John

Quote Originally Posted by S.M.N.Bee View Post
    Instead of slots as someone had mentioned here I drill about twelve tapered holes in each float.
    Drilling - That makes me think now. On a side note. I could just drill a few small holes on the bottom of the outside boards to allow the syrup to flow in and not have to worry about ripping the 1x4's down and save on the hardware cloth. Or is there a reason not to do it that way?
    Chuck Norris has a grizzly bear carpet in his room. The bear isn't dead it is just afraid to move.

Now that I am thinking about the design. I have a radial arm saw at work. I can just rip little slots blade width down a 1x and not have to worry about drilling or hardware cloth. I'll do one tomorrow and take pics of it.

I use one coat of fiberglass resin. Use a cheap paint brush and wear latex gloves. I have some feeders that are 20 plus years old and still don't leak.

Here is what I am thinking about doing for the outside boards. This way I can use 1x3 and 1x4 and just make straight cuts. Took about 10 seconds to turn the wood up and make the slits.

Should work, Chuck. You just won't be able to seal the wood completely with those notches. I gave everything a couple coats of poly on mine.
    Regards, Barry

I have "junk sugar" (warehouse sweepings) I mixed about 3# with 1 cup of vinegar, plus 1 cup of water and a splash of HBH. It has been sitting in a bucket about 3 hours. I am going to put this in my version of hive top feeder. It is dry enough the bees can crawl on it. I have 1 colony that will not make it to spring without being fed. I intend to put it on today. By the way I do not reccomend the junk sugar, I will not buy it again, it is a pain!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
    Here is what I am thinking about doing for the outside boards.
    Why not just make the outside board 1/4" shy of the feeder bottom? This allows syrup to easily flow under and the bees can't get under it if all the feed is gone. That way you can really seal up the bottom of that board.
    Regards, Barry

Think the window screen V is a must as it makes a ladder for the bees. There will be large numbers of bees drowning other wise.

Need the ladders or floats or there will be large numbers of drowned bees.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Now that I look at the original plans I wasn't thinking straight. I can just use 1x3's for the outer boards and that will give me the clearance for the syrup to go under.

my buddy has 1400 hives and uses 4 ml plastic staples the top once he has folded it down into the cavity , works for years for him.
    34 hives, 5 years

I have a bunch of these feeders. One change I made was to cover the whole top with 1/8 wire not just the center. When I first started using these the biggest problem I had was with even a small gap between the cover and the feeder caused massive drowning. The 1/8 solved this.

Danno that is a good Idea. I use the soundboard winter inner covers to keep bees out but when filling and checking I always get some suicides. The easiest way to crank out miller feeders is to sacrifice a deep hive body and cut it in three pieces. They hold a lot of syrup and I use my old cull boxes and can usually get a couple out of a damaged box. I liked the suggestion someone made about using fiberglass resin for inner coating. I usually just silicon the edges and corners and let the wood swell.

Got six of them made. They are real ugly but they work. Maybe they will look better after I paint them. Best part is after I cover them in hardware cloth I will only have about $6 invested in each one.

I have used spray on bed liner with very good success. I'm sure that you could use the roll on And apply with a brush with the same results. Not the cheapest but if you use cedar or cypress it should last a lifetime.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12