Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Re: ok to open hive???

Quote Originally Posted by Beregondo View Post

I've also opened the cover, put down news paper, misted the paper with water, put down sugar, and dampened it with water at such low temps as an emergency feeding measure with no ill effect.
    trottet1,

Please take note that the above (IMO) is the proper way to add dry sugar. Simply laying down newspaper and pouring sugar on top poses the risk of the dry sugar raining down on the cluster and landing on the bottom board or ground if you have open SBB. I like to dampen the sugar in layers of about a 1/2 inch deep. A cheap $1 store spray bottle works nicely.

When was the last time you checked the weight of this hive? This is one of the basic things that new beekeepers needs to make part of their Fall routine. Every opportunity (within reason) you should be checking the weight of the hive. Further, I'd skip the patties at this time of year, particularly if they are very light. You're seeking survival of the cluster not expansion - winter has just started - hold the patties till later (unless we're taking about some Irish whiskey, then toast to the health of your bees).
    Horseshoe Point Honey -- http://localvahoney.com/

trottet1===
    any updates for us?

hey clyde,
    as a matter of fact, I just got in from checking things out. I think all is well. Yesterday, I noticed a ton of bee activity and a bunch of dead bees in front of the hive. This gave me a good feeling. 1- signs of life and 2- the bees were housekeeping and doing what they do. To me, as novice as I am, I assumed this was a good thing. Today was very warm, and it is supposed to rain later, so since they were out and about, I thought now would be a good time to go out and take a peek. I went out there with a half a bag or so of sugar, and some newspaper. I did lift the hive to satisfy my curiosity. The best way for me to judge the weight would be... If i were to dead lift the single, I would probably be at risk for a back injury. I also peeked between the frames, without moving them and it looked like there were a lot of capped action from what i could see looking straight down. Since I already had the newspaper, and sugar, but no spacer as it did not arrive yet, I placed 1 sheet doubled over on top of the frames and put some sugar on there. I am pretty sure this was just to satisfy my own mind. The only negative I can think of right now is when i put the inner cover back on, some of the sugar screeded off down into the hive body (as pointed out by astro bee above). All and all, I think a good day. I was much more comfortable opening the hive than I have been in the past, the bees were cool and smooth... they were checking me out but seemed pretty tolerant of my presence. I have good weight to the hive, and lots of bee activity and housekeeping. Unless I am mistaken, I would say success thus far. Thanks for stopping back in with the inquiry.

todd

trott, good news.
    Keep in mind February, they use alot of food then rearing brood.
    The first decent day in the middle of Feb. be sure to check em again for stores.

Thank you astro bee,
    I read your post a little late. i am receiving the spacer and patties tomorrow via ups. As per your advice, and clyde's, I will hold off til mid february for the patties if needed at all.

thank you clyde. will do.

Maybe looking at the extremes is helpful. I have opened hives when it was quite cold (I didn't keep track but it was well below freezing) but only if I had a reason to. Reasons to open a hive: Most common would be because it is light (I can lift it to determine that) and therefore I want to give them some sugar. But there is no need to open it to find out if they need it and no need to open it if they don't n eed it. I have opened a hive in February, found the frame with the queen and put her in an observation hive to take to a beekeeping meeting. There were beginners and I think it's important to let them see bees. I put her back after the meeting and the hive did fine. Is that a good idea? Probably not. But I have enough hives that it's not that big of a risk for me.
    Michael Bush bushfarms.com/bees.htm "Everything works if you let it." ThePracticalBeekeeper.com 40y 200h 37yTF