Hybrid View

Default ok to open hive???

ok it is going to be mid 20's today. I am panicking a little bit after reading another members bees had starved. Is it ok to open the hive today. I plan on being as non invasive as possible. My plan would be, just remove the covers, lay some newspaper down and pour a bag of sugar on the paper. That quick. Any objections???

todd

Default Re: ok to open hive???

trottet1==lift the hive from the back and judge its weight from what you remember a couple of months ago to see if it is much lighter than you remember. If I remember they had a good amount of stores going into winter.
    But if you are unsure, doing what you describe above is fine. Remember the propolis will be brittle and really sealing the lid down, it'll make a big crack and maybe a jolt to the bees when you loosen it. Wear a veil.
    Go for it if you think they need it. It will not hurt.

I would not disturb them at all at 20 myself... I would wait until 40 ish. as a min.

If I remember correctly, the other member's bees starved because they were trying to cover brood. They still had stores, just not where the brood was. In that situation sugar on the top frames would be pointless.

If you are anxious, lift the back of the hive to check the weight. Gmcharlie is right - wait until you are in the 40s or so. Opening them up now is going to hurt them, not help them.

ok, I will lift and see what the weight is. Hopefully it will have some weight to it and i won't have to make a decision. Sunday is supposed to be in the 40's, and I ordered winter patties. If it is totally light and feels empty, I may have to follow clyde's advice, although i do respect all of your advice. If they are totally empty, I think I would have to risk opening and offering emergency stores versus starvation.
    thank you all for the very quick response.

Quote Originally Posted by merince View Post
    If you are anxious, lift the back of the hive to check the weight. Gmcharlie is right - wait until you are in the 40s or so. Opening them up now is going to hurt them, not help them.
    How so?
    trottet1 is putting surgar on the topbars and closing it up, not doing an inspection.

ANY time you open the hive your disrubing the cluster, working up the bees getting them to spread out and allow the cold in. If that cluster gets chilled, they die......

Imagine yourself snuggled away in your igloo. not warm, but okay... and the polar bear comes in to peak.... suddenly your out in an artic blast... and probably not going to survive. and even if you do the cost of that incursion in energy was huge.

Quote Originally Posted by trottet1 View Post
    ok it is going to be mid 20's today. I am panicking a little bit after reading another members bees had starved. Is it ok to open the hive today. I plan on being as non invasive as possible. My plan would be, just remove the covers, lay some newspaper down and pour a bag of sugar on the paper. That quick. Any objections???

todd
    I object! . Put the hive tool down and turn around, but seriously the 20's? Winter has not even started, and you are worried they are going to starve? gotta get ahead before winter, or you will be worried/doing this all winter. I would wait until at least the weather was warmer.