Thread: Bear Cleanup

Default Bear Cleanup

About a month ago my hives had a multiple night encounter with our local black bear. I was able to salvage one hive with virtually no damage and currently they are doing very well. The weaker of the two I had put back together with little hope due to the lack of honey, bees, etc. Checked both of the hives today and the weaker hive had died.

My question is what do I do with the frames now? All have plastic foundation, some have small patches of capped honey, others are just a smushed brown mess that actually smell a bit. Do I leave them for bees next year? Scrape everything off and re-dip the plastic foundation in wax for the spring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Default Re: Bear Cleanup

ski,

I would recommend that you do all of the above. Definitely salvage all of the equipment that you can. If the frames with comb are not too structurally damaged the bees will correct the damage, and you can always phase that equipment out over time. Some of my frames are black plastic Pirco frames and when new I gave them an additional coat of melted beeswax. A 3-4 inch wide sponge paint roller and a shallow pan of melted bees was works well for coating.

You may need to invest in an electric bear fence because once a bear has discovered your bee yard he will remember. A well designed electric bear fence will give you a lot of peace of mind.

Steve

Thanks Steve,

I did end up installing an electric fence and sure enough on the 4th night the bear learned its lesson and took out its frustration on the garbage cans.

Ski,

Good job !

I've had a solar powered electric bear fence in place for about six years and never had a problem in the yard. Mama bear did hold a sliding door open in my honey house and let her two cubs inside one year. That was a real equipment mess.

Steve

Aldrich foot snare!
    A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius

Copper coated lead poisoning would take care of your bear problem. Depending on where you are you can even get a wildlife official to relocate it for you

Widdy,
    I know what your saying, 180 grain Accu Bond would work well too. That is if it can't be relocated.

FYI bear is tasty... good fat content just like beef

By any chance do you have any pictures of the damage. I'm debating on putting a couple hives on a property that I know has at least three bears and trying to decide if it's worth it to buy all the stuff to keep them out.

Widdy, the range of pictures I have seen is from hives just tipped over to something resembling a war zone. From what I have read the damage progresses from the former to the latter as the bear gets experience and confidence. IMHO it is not worth the worry to put out unprotected hives as you are talking 100% replacement cost and relocation hassle because the bears will find them.

Widdy,

A bear fence in bear country is worth every penny it costs, guaranteed. However it must be well designed and well built and properly maintained.

Adrian's comments are absolutely correct.

See my post #12 at: http://www.beesource.com/forums/show...ar+creek+steve , and the referenced URL on how to construct.

Regards,
    Steve

I love bears and seeing bears. I think they are magnificent creatures. I also think that of bees though.

I make money off of bees.

As long as the bears keep there distance they are fine but accidents happen here in Jackson county Tennessee.