Thread: Kona Queens?

Default Kona Queens?

Just curious if anyone has ever tried a Kona Carniolan queen they are from hawaii so they have queens year round I need to requeen 1 of my hives and I would like to do it as soon as possible.

Default Re: Kona Queens?

Queens are imported to Canada from Hawaii and get called Kona Queens. They are good queens. However, the laying life span seems limited with one year of hard laying and they burn out and get superceded. They are very prolific for the year(but only lay for 4-5 months). So much so that swarming is a concern and I remove an average of a frames of brood/eggs per week. THe queen does a lot of laying but seems to be burnt out after a year.

May have been bad luck, but from my experience, laying life span is not overly great.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

With queen rearing, there's a very rigid schedule. It takes x days to finish the queen cells, x days to wait for it to hatch, x days after hatching to go on nuptual flights, x days to start laying eggs, and x days for those eggs to get capped. When those eggs are capped, you can tell whether they're fertilized worker larvae or unfertilized drones. That is the ONLY indicator you have that the queen is the one laying and that she's properly mated and capable of egg production. The process takes about 4 weeks from queen graft to capped brood.

My understanding, from word of mouth, is that Kona ships their queens out around the 3 week mark - after the queens have laid, but before the cells are capped. They do a high volume, and the bulk of their business is during almond production when there is an insatiably high demand for new queens and people are more concerned with just having a queen than how well it was verified to be viable.

I don't like the notion though. I wouldn't want to put in a poorly mated queen or a drone layer, which can happen.
    Last edited by pfunkmort; 12-22-2013 at 07:52 PM.

ok thanks for the info

I try to use local queens , Kona have good commercially produced queens from the census around NS , but the best is your own locally bred stock , at least that is what I prefer . I guess it depends on the difference in climates .

Good luck
    Ben Little <The Little Bee Farm> https://www.facebook.com/TheLittleBeeFarm
    Nova Scotia Canada