Default Modifying Quotes

This is an explanation of how to fix problems when quoting a previous post.

If you use the "Reply with Quote" button, the entire post is quoted, but many times only a small portion of that quote is appropriate. So, for the sake of brevity (and Beesource quoting rules) you delete the non-relevant portion of the quoted message. And then something like this happens:

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635]I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box.

- or -

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635]I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box. /QUOTE]

- or -

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635]I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box. [QUOTE]

- or -

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635 I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box. [/QUOTE]

The problem in each of these cases is that the basic BBCode format of [QUOTE] ... [/QUOTE] has not been followed. When quotes are intended to link to a specific previous post, the beginning of the quote MUST look like this:

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635]

If one of the brackets gets deleted in your editing process, just type a new one. Here is what that quote is supposed to look like before you click the "Post" button:

[QUOTE=psfred;1030635]I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box. [/QUOTE]

once you get the syntax correct, it looks like this:

Quote Originally Posted by psfred View Post
    I would not leave a bad knot in a board as you did (otherwise they look great). That particular knot is "loose" knot -- one side is not stuck tight, and as a result it will eventually come out, ruining an otherwise perfectly good box.
    Note that you must close quotes with the forward slash, as in [/QUOTE].

More information on quoting and all other BBCode syntax is available by clicking the BBCode link at the very bottom of this page.

No harm was intended to any Beesource member involved in the thread used as an example here, it was just the one I happened to come across.
    Last edited by Rader Sidetrack; 12-15-2013 at 03:48 PM.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Default Re: Modifying Quotes

A man is worth just as much as the things about which he busies himself- Marcus Aurelius