Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Bee Hive Color

Default Re: Bee Hive Color

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    in the north a dark color to absorb heat in the winter is a plus. in the south white or silver to reflect heat in the summer is a plus. I checked with my bees they like $4 a gallon color a little better than $7 a gallon color.
    I checked with my longevity consultant and he says boxes will last longer with $40+ a gallon paint. I spent $2200 on paint this year to cover 500 new deeps and about 6500 new cleats. The cleats will last 40+years and the boxes about the same with what we put on.

IMO great paint is expensive no matter what pretty color you want the boxes. I'd rather write a big check once a year to Sherwin Williams than getting piecemealed to death with a larger labor bill over the course of many years.

If its not the labor to throw away rotten ones or a large jar of heartache pills purchased prior to viewing the ones sitting on the "repaint" pile that suck up money then I don't know what does!!!

Well, for the rest of us, the "big check" would be more like $100. What do ya think this is, the commercial forum!
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Well, for the rest of us, the "big check" would be more like $100. What do ya think this is, the commercial forum!
    Be it $100 or many thousands I don't think the box really cares? I own some ratty old boxes purchased from outfits that dared paint them with nothing less than solid lead back in the 40's. Glad they are about out of here. If someone can scoop up enough premium oil based primer and long life top coat stuff for $7 I'm all for it. Tell me where its at!!!!

I just don't run across it in pallet full quantities when needed. Be it one box or 1000 they will all rot faster when the paint peels faster than the help can throw a new coat on. My point was not about the total paid per year for paint.

For me its about making that soon to be $10 deep cost me less than 50 cents a year over a protracted lifespan of 30+years ( box, assembly, paint, etc...) and making that box hassle free till the day someone puts a forklift through a spot about 6 inches above the front door.

"Oops" paint is only an option for us hobby or sideline keepers, where a gallon is much more than we would use in a year. For a commercial operation, I agree, wrong place to save on money or preparation. The cost of replacing boxes due to rot from poor paint along with the associated labor costs is far higher than the cost of good paint. Same thing on a house -- let the paint go on exposed wood and you have rotten wood and need to replace something, keep good paint on it every 5 years or so and it will outlast you.

At least here in S. Indiana, untreated pine will only last five or six years before it becomes too deteriorated to keep the bees inside dry.

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post
    Be it one box or 1000 they will all rot faster when the paint peels faster than the help can throw a new coat on.
    Understood, but I doubt someone just starting out as a hobbyist shares these same concerns. It only takes me a couple hours to paint all my boxes with a roller.
    Regards, Barry

Is it wise to use BLACK for the hand and middle finger? May get into some REAL trouble. Better go with purple. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Understood, but I doubt someone just starting out as a hobbyist shares these same concerns. It only takes me a couple hours to paint all my boxes with a roller.

Barry, Not sure if you knew or not but my brothers and I started with a single swarm in a tree followed the next year by the purchase of 15 hives from an old feller who was sick of all us locos in CA and decided to bail without his "ladies." Many new and used boxes purchased and built since then.

They say that life imitates art and vice versa. A box well painted with a little decoration to boot is a great site in a back yard and even better for the soul. Two well painted boxes is even better. If the hobbyist decides to call it a day and sell the outfit then the money recouped from a well painted box might recoup a small portion of the heartache "lost" bees would incur if he had "bees in the blood". Though hardly...

I try to build them so that any future grandkid (all yet unborn) who might want to be keep bees will be as pleased with the equipment as I am.

I make a point every year to change color. Kind of like the queens - every year a different color. I Think of it as an easy way to "see" how many years I have been in the bee business.

We're good. You want to spend more money for top of the line paint that will last say 20 years. There are others that don't mind spending less for the cheaper grade paint knowing they will have to repaint more often. Both work.
    Regards, Barry

I paint with any color of top line paint I can get at Home Depot, or Lowes, out of their "oops" colors. I particularly like the paints that are self priming. I recently got a gallon of Behr's best outdoor paint for $7.
    Dan Boylan, At it since 2007 in Pa Zone 6B, 13 hives, 6 nucs, treat when needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Honey In The Meadow View Post
    I make a point every year to change color. Kind of like the queens - every year a different color. I Think of it as an easy way to "see" how many years I have been in the bee business.
    With all the palettes available I would suppose you plan on a very long life if you think you'll get to use a color more than once? Hope I never get that old.

Very unique idea Love it. Any pics????

Quote Originally Posted by mathesonequip View Post
    in the north a dark color to absorb heat in the winter is a plus. in the south white or silver to reflect heat in the summer is a plus. I checked with my bees they like $4 a gallon color a little better than $7 a gallon color.
    You really have my attention! Where do you get $4 a gallon (or even $7 a gallon)? I checked HOME DEPOT; they have $27 a gallon.

Phil

I used a solar reflective paint for mine, I'm in Australia so heat is a big thing but I'm happy with a blue base and cover and stain for the hive bodies:

> Where do you get $4 a gallon (or even $7 a gallon)?

Some stores, including big box stores, sell mistints (and possibly returned items) at a discounted price. In some stores, "oops" paints are as low as $5 / gallon. Pricing seems to vary regionally.

I bought a 5 gallon bucket of paint from a local Habitat For Humanity resale store at for $25, but I see they recently raised their price to $6 per gallon.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Quote Originally Posted by Comper100 View Post
    I used a solar reflective paint for mine, I'm in Australia so heat is a big thing but I'm happy with a blue base and cover and stain for the hive bodies:

Very nice. I love the color.. Did you see mine in post #7?

Yeah I did, they are fantastic! I'm not sure if i'll paint them all the same or mix it up like you have. Nice work!

The Yellow one is great, I was thinking of doing one yellow.

Quote Originally Posted by Comper100 View Post
    Yeah I did, they are fantastic! I'm not sure if i'll paint them all the same or mix it up like you have. Nice work!

The Yellow one is great, I was thinking of doing one yellow.
    Thank you.. Not sure what I'll do next taking a break and getting some last minute Christmas gifts finished up..

Quote Originally Posted by Honey-4-All View Post

For me its about making that soon to be $10 deep cost me less than 50 cents a year over a protracted lifespan of 30+years ( box, assembly, paint, etc...) and making that box hassle free till the day someone puts a forklift through a spot about 6 inches above the front door.
    I thought the same way first time I painted, then I realized that the paint got chipped prying the boxes apart, stapling insulation or wrap, or screwing on robber screens or installing mouse guards etc etc etc...... That expensive paint chipped just like the cheaper paint will, the difference is that it costs less to touch the boxes up...
    I have NO argument with anyone that wants to buy GOOD paint, or even cypress or cedar boxes.. I just found that as often as things need to be touched up that buying the best was a waste of money.
    www.outyard.weebly.com 8 yrs aiding 40+ hives 3 yrs personal. 40+ of my own now (T, TF Goal) Zone 5a

I mainly paint my boxes white but I add color work, flowers or flames or something to the front to help the bees hit the right box. Particularly queens on mating flights...
    Time to be a gypsy again, 2014 will be my prep year, my bees want a better area with actual rainfall.

Homemaid - now those are sharp. May I share this with my bees?
    No one famous.