Beesource Beekeeping Forums banner

Can I treat with Apiguard and feed now?

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Tim B 
#1 ·
I got my first Russian nucs middle of April this year. I haven't done a mite count so I probably deserve a bit of a hard time for asking this question but here goes.

We will have daytime temps in the high 50s for the next couple of days then we should be in the mid to upper 60s for a week or two. I'm thinking I should treat the hives with Apiguard while there is very little brood.

I still have a late season full frame super on each hive that I intend to remove before treatment.

Is it an awful idea to disturb the hives now? I plan on feeding 2:1 (wo essential oils) while treating and do not intend to disturb the brood box. I will install a sticky board to do a mite drop count during treatment. After the count I'll probably ask if a second treatment is necessary.

Our first flow will be in January with the red maple.

Thanks for the advice

Al

#3 ·
I'd be more inclined to treat via OAV (Oxalic Acid Vaporization). No need to open the hives, very gentle on the bees, 95% or better mite kill in broodless hives. Yes, I'm pushing my own product here since I sell the vaporizers, but what works, simply works.

#4 ·
That's probably a good idea to just do a sticky board first. If I sample more than one or two mites a day then I can treat. I want to take advantage of the low brood levels and warm weather while I can.

I'll certainly consider OAV treatment this summer. I have the Thymol so I can do it this weekend.

Thanks for the advice

#5 ·
The probably won't touch the apivar unless temps get into the upper sixties or low 70s. I have killed weak hives with it trying to use it in the early spring. You can purchase 10 apivar strips at Dadant for $25. They are easy on queens and miticide breaks down within a few weeks leaving no residue. One in each hive should do it. Don't mess around with mites...kill all you can as soon as you can.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.