Default honey foams immediately after pouring into jars

I have some honey from this year that is of a typical quality, nothing extraordinary. I store the honey in glass jars, either quarts or half gallon growlers. Some of the honey was pretty foamy when I extracted it and poured it into these jars. No foam in the storage jars though. However, when I pour from these storage jars into smaller jars, the honey foams up with a head like a badly poured glass of beer. The foam actually has overtopped all of the jars. Anyone seen this before or have an explanation. The honey is not fermented that I can tell.

Default Re: honey foams immediately after pouring into jars

Anxious to here responses on this one.

I had foam top of some of my bottles when I bottled the honey. Wasn't sure what it was either. Tasted some of the foam, tasted like honey and did not have a texture like it was wax pieces.

I get foam in my bottling tank. I just scoop it out into my feed back to the bee's bucket.

I am clueless!

1. However have you tried pouring down the inside side if the jar. Like a person would pour a beer to deduce the head. depending on the drop height to the bottom of the jar the higher the greater chance of the honey capturing micro air bubbles when it hits the bottom.

2. Wild guess! you say "foam". hard to be sure what that means without further description. Here is the while part: Honey is acid. are you sure the jars do not have a micro coating of a base produce like the film left from real "hard" water. Could the foam be a reaction? Remember, I said it was a wild guess. wash and completely rinse a jar in distilled water?
    Last edited by jrbbees; 12-09-2013 at 09:50 PM. Reason: correct the speeling of a word
    Old Guy in Alabama

Fermenting?
    Mead?

There are only two logical explanations given the set of facts you presented.

1. Fermentation (the most likely given your description of a head like beer)
    2. The honey was pretty warm when transferred and was drizzled and not gently poured

BTW there are lots of beer purists on here who would argue with your assesment that a glass of beer with a head was "badly poured".
    "People will generally accept facts as truth only if the facts agree with what they already believe."- Andy Rooney