Default ICE on viewing window

I'm in Michigan and this week has been in the single digits. FREEZING!! I went and looked in my top bar hive window and the window has frost/ice on the inside. Should I be worried. The hive is clustered towards the mid right and the ice is more towards the right of the window. I was worried they were all dead, but I see them moving around in there. Is ice on the inside of the window a huge issue or is this because it is soooo stinking cold?? I'm worried when it warms up that this may provide too much water in there?

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!! This is my first winter! AHHH!!!!

Thanks!
    Brittany (MI beek)

Default Re: ICE on viewing window

When moist air hits cold glass you get frost. If you see movement I wouldn't worry, bees are tougher than you think.

It was in the 20's here early this morning and had risen into the 30's when I saw a couple of bees flying around the entrance of my TBH. Looked inside and saw there was a little bit of moisture on the bottom of the window which I don't believe is a concern. However, the first two bars of comb next to the entrance are a lot whiter than they have been. I was wondering if it was from the cold (being next to the entrance)? Any thoughts?
    The road goes on forever and the party never ends ---- Robert Earl Keen

Just as long as it's not "raining" on the bees in the hive you should bee fine.

A major difference between Top bar and Langstroth hives is their approach to ventilation. A Langstroth hive is built like a chimney. The result is a large temperature gradient with heat radiating to the top creating a condensation effect that drips moisture down into the hive. Top bar hives are built horizontally and don't have this issue. In our hives, the window glass actually serves well as a condensation site, allowing the bees access to some water in the winter...... http://www.backyardhive.com/kb/Venti..._top_bar_hive/
    let him labor, working with his hands, that he may have something to give him who has need.." Ephesians 4:28

Here's a very good article on wintering TB Hives.....http://www.backyardhive.com/kb/What_..._these_hives?/
    let him labor, working with his hands, that he may have something to give him who has need.." Ephesians 4:28