Thread: Dc inverter

Default Dc inverter

My bee vac is 120v /5.75 a and I want to get an inverter to operate it from my truck battery. Would someone advise me what watt inverter I need that will be connected direct to the battery. The vac is used to collect swarms with each use lasting about thirty minutes. Thanks

Default Re: Dc inverter

Watts is voltage * amps, so your vac nameplate watts are 690. However, it would be a good idea to use an inverter rated somewhat higher than 700 watts. I'd suggest 1000 watts is a reasonable choice.

Note that you may not be able to draw 1000 watts (or even 700) through a cigarette lighter style outlet. Direct connection to the vehicle battery most likely will be required.
    Graham
    USDA Zone 7A Elevation 1400 ft

Volts X Amps = Watts. Your vac will need approx 720 watts for easy figuring. To get this from 12 volts will take a current draw of roughly 60 amps (not considering conversion losses) more like 80 at start up of vac. I would say at least a 1000 watt inverter.You would have to keep your engine running! Have you considered a 1500 watt AC generator? Might be cheaper than buying an inverter and putting wear and tear on your truck engine. Handy for other tasks too perhaps.

Edit; just read Raders post. For certain it will have to be direct wired to your battery.

I have a 1500 watt one that I use all of the time. But I use it because of Being a contractor. It does work great for the vac. 90% of the time I could use the house power.
    David

My $0.02.... While all the above recommendations will work I would highly recommend a small generator if you need portable power of that wattage. While it will work, (run off your truck battery) it beats the heck out of a lead acid battery (normal car/truck is not deep cycle) and will quickly destroy it. Murphy says it will fail when you are already late for work and it is 20F outside..... Depending on how long you run your vacuum you may need a jump to get your truck started when done with the bees. Unless you leave your truck running to charge the battery while it is running... If you do that you may want to check the specs on your alternator to make sure it can keep up or at least be close to keeping up....

Only my opinion... maybe the cost of a new battery (a bit more often than normal) and the gas to run the truck is worth it to get the bees to you....
    April 21, 2014 - 3 Hives - 2 packages and 1 swarm

Ya I have chewed up a couple sets of battery's. Duel set for my diesel. At the same time I MIT have had a grounding problem at the same time.
    David

If you decide to go with a generator, it's really hard to beat the little Honda EU1000 or 2000. They are super reliable and can be allowed to sit unused for long periods of time and still start when you need them.
    If you don't go for a Honda generator, at least get one with a Honda engine.

I don't know much about bees but I have a lot of experience with small generators.

In talk with a friend of mine that has a 1000 watt he wish he had got the bigger one. With him having two whole house ones. I figure he knows what he is talking about.
    David

I've thought about building a bee vac with a two stroke leaf blower as the vac source for jobs where I don't have power.

Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    I've thought about building a bee vac with a two stroke leaf blower as the vac source for jobs where I don't have power.
    The noise will drive you batty. I used a gas blower for honey removal for decades and now use electric whenever possible. Quieter and easier to turn on and off.

Only going to use it when I don't have 120v to plug into for shop vac motor.

I have a 2,000 Watt Inverter on my truck which has 2 batteries. It comes in real handy. It works pretty good with the 2 batteries and the truck running while in use. You may get a spike in amps needed on starting that beevac of well over that rating you have posted. My inverter setup would run it fine with no problem, with my 2 batteries and truck running.
    “When one tugs at a single thing in nature, he finds it attached to the rest of the world.” – John Muir