Default Round black feeders

Is anyone still selling the feeders that look like little black barrel shaped jugs? I think you invert them from the top of the hive.

Default Re: Round black feeders

Not sure about the east coast but on the west they used to come from Glorybee out of Oregon. Don't see many more around here anymore. The had a tendency to "roll" away once they got empty and the wind showed up. One guy with 20K hives nearby no longer uses them. For years I've wondered why no one produced a tin can shaped version of these that were nestable and stackable. If it wasn't 70K for a mold I'd do it myself. A properly designed one that had a 10 year +- shelf life would sell by the tens of thousands in Nor Cal if not the rest of country.

Here you go; Hope this is it:?????

http://beekeeping.glorybee.com/shop/...op-Feeder.html

Do you poke holes in the metal cap or can you get a pre-perforated cap?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

Yep, that's it. Thank you. I was going to start some nucs in the spring and was thinking I could drill a hole in the migratory lid and put this feeder in and that would keep it from blowing away. Anyone try that?

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    Not sure if they are pre perforated?????

Best bet, if you do so yourself, is to remember that a large number of small holes is superior to a small number of large holes!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyp View Post
    Yep, that's it. Thank you. I was going to start some nucs in the spring and was thinking I could drill a hole in the migratory lid and put this feeder in and that would keep it from blowing away. Anyone try that?
    Like I said. They blow and roll. If you are considering a small quantity in your equipment a well funded supply of bricks might be well worth the investment of both time and money.

You can do the same thing with a Gatorade bottle. Just drill some 1/16 holes in the lid.

Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    They should make the thread on the cap mate a watering nozzle which you could fasten to the hive and not have the bottle blow away.
    Brian Cardinal
    Zone 5a, Practicing non-intervention beekeeping

Phil, I got one in the works....

Seems a little pricey for $5 ea plus shipping.

Mason jars work just fine, about $8 a case of 12, easy to clean in dishwasher. Never had one blow away.

Plastic might only last a few years in full sun. How do know when they need to be cleaned? When they do need to be replaced, do they crack and leak in the hive? If it blows away you are left with a hole in the top of your hive?

Flower, your missing a point. glass takes no abuse whatsoever. breaks when frozen, and is a pain to clean up afterwards. for a guy with 1-2 hives there fine... but for someone who feed more than 2 quarts at a time. not so much

I have a few of these black plastic bottles. I've never used them because the metal cap is very small, and not many bees could feed at one time . . . ?
    --shinbone
    (3rd year, 9 hives, Zone 5b, 5400 ft, 15.8" annual rainfall)

I use hundreds of these. They are nice because they don't let lite into meds when you are medicating. Yes wind is an issue.

There is also an issue with barometric pressure change and they squirt all the fluid out over the bee's . I have not figured out what to float in the jug to stop this from happening yet.

I use gallon jars that most small restaurants get pickles and other things in. make my own holes . I like he glass but some times they are plastic. I can see how much is left with out turning it over.

I have a few of these.....
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B002VX...dir_mdp_mobile

I couldn't post my own photo for whatever reason.

They hold about three quarts. For the most part they don't leak and I can drop them over the existing 1" hole I have in my lids.

The holy grail of bucket feeders would for me not require a larger hole in lid. With a 1" whole it's not an issue if for whatever reason they don't get covered when not in use. Square one gallon containers that I could fit 4-6 into a cheap container would be nice. With a handle like a paint can so I could carry 4-6 at a time.

I ended up going with half gallon mason jars. Since I'm running almost all 5 frame hives these days I figured out I can put 3 half gallon jars inside an empty 5 frame hive body on top of the hive. That gives them 1.5 gallons of feed and should hold them a little while longer. The bad part is they're glass and they can break easier and it takes longer to fill all those jars up.