Thread: Lab Analysis?

Default Lab Analysis?

I had a couple of hives up on a hill and checking on them today found them both dead. I would like to see if I could send in some bees for a lab to see the cause (specifically anything contagious like AFB or EFB) I know that there is a lab that does it but for the life of me I cannot find it in the search. I am in Oregon and was even wondering if the OSU bee lab could help me out. I find it suspicious that one hive was so heavy I could not pick it up the other was light. Both had baggy feeders on them still full (not leaking) we are in a solid freeze so I would like to send off the sample while everything is frozen and get results prior to putting this years nucs into them.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

Default Re: Lab Analysis?

makes me wonder if the light hive crashed first and then got robbed out by the heavy hive, and whatever problem it had was spread.

here's beltsville's info:

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7473
    beekeeping since june 2010, +/- 20 hives, tf

Wow. How disheartening. I don't know about OSU, but the University of Florida does have the resources.
    PO Box 110620 | Bldg. 970 Natural Area Dr. | Gainesville, FL 32611 | Phone: 352-273-3932 | E-mail: honeybee@ifas.ufl.edu
    No one famous.

I don't believe that the Beltsville Bee Lab does analysis of bees to determine the presence of AFB or EFB. Usually such analysis is don't first by visual inspection of the brood combs and then lab analysis of suspect comb.

In all likelihood your colonies did not die from AFB or EFB, but from some varroa vectored virus.
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

http://www.ars.usda.gov/Services/docs.htm?docid=7473

The diagnosis of bee diseases has been a focus of this laboratory since its inception in 1891 and we operate a "Bee Disease Diagnosis Service" for beekeepers across the U.S.

There is no charge for this service.

Samples received of adult bees and beeswax comb (with and without bee brood) are examined for bacterial, fungal and microsporidian diseases as well as for two species of parasitic mites and other pests associated with honey bees (i.e., small hive beetle, Aethina tumida).

When requested, American foulbrood samples are cultured and isolates are screened for their sensitivity to Terramycin (oxytetracycline) and Tylan (tylosin).

We do not analyze samples (bees, wax comb, pollen, etc.) for the presence of viruses or pesticide residue.

We do not make determinations about which species of Nosema (N. apis or N. ceranae) are present, when nosema disease is detected.

Diagnostic reports are transmitted to both the beekeeper, submitter of the samples and to the appropriate apiary inspectors.

We are only able to accept samples originating from the U.S. and Canada. We do not accept samples from other countries.

How to submit samples
    mike syracuse ny
    I went to bed mean, and woke up meaner. Marshal Dillon

Well it is 17 degrees here now but predicting to go back up to the 40’s this week. If the bees were frozen the last week or so I hope to get some decent samples sent. I will take pictures, do the smell test and put bees in IPA as the links suggest. I wonder if the cells will be stringy at these temps?
    The ground is frozen pretty hard so if my truck will climb that hill I will go up there and get them. I was reluctant to bring them home to spread more funk but a friend of mine offered to host a couple of dead outs at his place.
    “Why do we fall, sir? So that we might learn to pick ourselves up” Alfred Pennyworth Batman Begins (2005)

You are going to put bees in India Pale Ale to send to the lab for analysis?
    Mark Berninghausen "Ships at a distance have every man's wish on board." Zora Neale Hurston

Did you do any end of season mite testing?
    Dan www.boogerhillbee.com
    Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards

Here is some pictures of the two dead outs:
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/6m...20death%202013
    it seems that one hive had about 50 lbs on the top deep and they did not move up into it. Plus a 2:1 baggy feeder. The other hive was completely empty and appear to have starved to death with a half gallon of 2:1 (they must not have got it put away in time). There did not appear to be any robbing. They were both face into the cells. The one with the honey set up their main brood area on plastic that was still only half drawn. The other part of that was odd is that I tried some mono reinforcements of the wax and they ate the wax out along the bottom of the mono and the lower part of the foundation fell out. I am still going to send them in.

Can't see any photos.

Just pulled up my logs and found that I had done my last mite check on July 18th with a powder sugar test and only came up with 4. I still put a fume board on (formic) later in the month. One entry that caught my eye was that I put on some deep frames honey from last year’s dead out and questioned if it was a good idea since I did not know what killed the hive the previous year.
    IPA is shorthand for isopropyl Alcohol. Who would waist Fat Tire on some bees?

Maybe this link
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/6minz/slideshow/
    put it down as a slide show rather than to a link to the album
    http://s1141.photobucket.com/user/6m...bed/slideshow/

Nice pics! I'm not sure which ones were from the suspect hives though. I did see two pics that looked like either EFB or PMS but I could not be sure with the slide show going.

I thought the slide show could be stopped by clicking on the photo or doing it manual. It was nice that somebody could actually see the pictures. I lost both of the hives. The slides should start with the picture of the hive and then the frames from that hive. The next picture of the hive followed by the next picture. My daughter was taking the pictures and she did not go to macro mode for the close ups. I did receiver the USPS notice that my samples were delivered. Now it is just a matter of waiting.

I got my results back. Varroa Mite Aprox 12.9 per 100 and Nosema 800,000 per bee. Hive D1 was at 9.3 mites per hundred bees. I have no idea if this number is good so I will start a new thread.

Those numbers aren't bad. Usually the nosema counts I have seen are in the millions per bee. This is all about your experience and data, so I see no need to start a new Thread.