Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default built warming box out of a old freezer to uncrystallize my honey had a question

my honey crystallized and I am trying to un crystallize it. I have my unit set at 100 deg. its been a week and the honey is still in the same state. how long does it take?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: built warming box out of a old freezer to uncrystallize my honey had a question

In a hot water bath, I have found that I need to take it to 140F to fully dissole all crystals and keep without re-crystalizing. Need to heat the honey totally through. Did a test jar of canola honey on Sept 9 and its still liquid.
    That much heat darkened the honey.

Know many on Beesource say 95-110F is max temp but I note that sqkcrt warms his to 150F. I was somewhat surprised at the 150F but I'll go with all that experience and vaidated my 140F.
    If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got!

Default Re: built warming box out of a old freezer to uncrystallize my honey had a question

I'm replying to this thread because of a conversation me and another beekeeper had just the other day. I don't use a warming box. I store my honey in 5 gallon buckets and use a heating band to warm it, This usually takes 24 hours. Our conversation formed a question. . Isn't a warming box made for keeping already liquefied honey liquid? . It would seem crystallized honey takes prolonged direct heat to liquefy. i tend to sell my honey off in barrels to avoid crystallized honey!

Quote Originally Posted by Bradley_Bee View Post
    Isn't a warming box made for keeping already liquefied honey liquid? . It would seem crystallized honey takes prolonged direct heat to liquefy.
    A warming box like the one you mention made out of an old freezer work great for liquefying honey. That is what these plans were made for.

http://www.beesource.com/build-it-yo.../honey-heater/
    Regards, Barry

Quote Originally Posted by adamant View Post
    how long does it take?
    Mine (5 gallon) would take about 3 days at 110.
    Regards, Barry

Anything above 120deg. will kill all the good stuff in the honey, might as well sell corn syrup.. 115 deg. water bath and 5 gal. bucket reliquefied in 2 days. That's what works for me anyway, hope that helps.
    Honeydew

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Have you checked that the temperature is actually 100 degrees ? It is possible for your thermostat to be off 5-10 degrees. I would turn it up a little, 110-115.

Mine takes 1-2 days (5 gal buckets) using 105 as a high, depending on how solid it is. Do you have a fan inside of the freezer? Where is the sensor? On the first one I made I put the sensor at the top with no fan. When I moved the sensor I found that the top could be 100 and the bottom would be 80, even in a small counter top refrigerator. You need a fan.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by bbbthingmaker View Post
    Have you checked that the temperature is actually 100 degrees ? It is possible for your thermostat to be off 5-10 degrees. I would turn it up a little, 110-115.
    Yes, and I did say 110.
    Regards, Barry

Barry, sorry, I misused the quote. I meant that since yours is working at 110 degrees, maybe Adamant should check the temp and maybe turn it up a little.

http://i29.photobucket.com/albums/c2...408/Hotbox.jpg this is the one I built it will hold 2 buckets and they will bee liquid in 3 days @115 degrees
    Ed, KA9CTT profanity is IGNORANCE made audible
    you can`t fix stupid not even with duct tape

Madison County, Arkansas, United States of America

Mine uses a cheap water heater thermostat and a 60 watt light bulb. Its set at about 120f, but a cooking thermometer on top of the jars reads about 115f. I tried a 200 watt bulb first. It brought the freezer up to temperature real quick, but it also started to melt the plastic on the underside of the lid (chest type freezer) right above the bulb. Takes 2-3 days with the 60 watt bulb. The jars on top liquify first due to temp gradient, so a fan would be a good idea. I'm thinking a computer fan.

We run our box around 113F.
    We keep the probe in a mason jar with water, with a plastic bag rubber-banded around the top.
    Dan

Quote Originally Posted by OzarkMountainMan View Post
    I'm thinking a computer fan.
    That's what I use in mine.
    Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Barry View Post
    Is that honey then completely liquid? Or is there a core that is still crystallized? I find that to be the case in my waterbath liquifier. When I liquify buckets of honey I take them from the waterbath tank and dump them into the bottling tank and further liquify their contents before straining.

I can only fit three buckets of honey in my waterbath warming tank, but I typically put four buckets worth of honey into my bottling tank. So, having a refurbished refrigerator would take even longer to liquify, or partially liquify enough honey to fill my tank.

Seems like I recall plans for a hot box which can hold 4 or six buckets at a time illustrated on beesource.com. Or am I imagining things?
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

So, somewhere between 57 where it supposedly crystallizes the fastest, and 110 degrees where it re-liquefies there must be a minimum lower temp that will keep it liquid more or less indefinitely. Anyone know what that is?

Reading this thread got me motivated to combine our recently dead upright freezer and recently crystallized honey (from the cold garage) along with a 60 watt drop light. Works great - took about 2 days to get up to 111 degrees (no thermostat, it just happens to run at 111 degrees) and now a few days later and my remaining stock is just about completely re-liquified.

I have year old honey in the laundry room (same place as the aforementioned dead freezer) where it stays around 75 year round which has not crystallized yet - so that might be a good starting point. Since the hive temp runs in the 90s then surely that is completely safe as far as not damaging the honey in any way.

I'm thinking I will move the dead freezer out to the garage, and put a thermostat on it just to maintain my stock until I get it all sold in the future.
    Since '09-25H-T-Z6b

Thumbs Up Re: built warming box out of a old freezer to uncrystallize my honey had a question

I use a heating blankets on the barrels and it takes about 3 days at 100 deg. Then I just pump the barrel into the bottling tanks to finish the job.

I use 3 , 60 watt bulbs in a big freezer, It will hold 4... 5 gallon buckets and a bunch of bottles. got a digital controller for $65 . You can set the plus or minus to 1 degree. got it a grainger
    I'm not tense, Just terribly, terribly alert!

I'm thinking about building a closet. I want to be able to wheel 8 buckets of honey, 2 per stack, into a hot room to liquify. I want to avoid lifting a bucket of honey up over the side of a chest freezer. I lift those buckets of honey enough as it is. Too much maybe.
    Mark Berninghausen "That which works, persists."

I built one that about 35" tall. That the front open up. Can do one five at a time or two layers of qt. about two days set at 105*. Controler came from honey run. I Need to add a small fan to it hot spot.
    David